BC Boards

Need a good shampoo

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good shampoo for a very sensitive-skinned dog. I picked up some stuff from SuperPetz that was suppost to be, but shortly after her bath she was scratching like crazy.

Anyone got a any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Mike

Try to find an oatmeal based shampoo, and no alcohol based additives. Some also have conditioners like aloe in them to help sooth the irritated skin. I have a BC/Sheltie mix with really bad skin too. Good luck.

Annie also has somewhat sensistive skin. Our vet recommended EFA HyLyt for Annie, which has worked out very well. The coconut oil leaves a nice smell, and helps moisturize and condition the skin while doing an excellent job of cleaning her coat.

Another thing you can try, in between baths, when grooming and also right after you get him out of the tub, use a leave in conditioner. There are some that are made specifically for sensitive skin, which I haven't tried. I do however use "T.H.E. STUFF" for dogs. It is a spray-on leave in conditioner/detangler. Jaycee has had good results with this and has not had a reaction to it at all. It is primarily used for show dogs and some groomers. Got mine thru "Care-A-Lot Pets" catalog. They are out of Virginia. Good luck! :rolleyes:

Jake gets Earthbath and I swear by the stuff! I've tried other shampoos, but Earthbath blew them out of the water (for one thing, even though I brushed Jake before bathing, the bathing itself removed so much dead hair from his coat, and the other shampoos didn't do that). A bonus from Earthbath is that it can be used for humans too, and I'll admit that I use the shampoo and conditioner on myself. Makes my mane o' hair nice and shiny, and my scalp isn't as irritated as it used to be (must be the lower PH of the dog shampoo)

There's no reason not to use human shampoo on dogs, so something like baby shampoo would probably work well.

I either use whatever I'm using on the dogs, or I buy something cheap on sale for dog shampoo.

In the past I've used various horse shampoos and liked them for the dogs. They are cheaper than dog shampoo and tend to rinse out very quickly.

I like Mane and Tail shampoo. You can find it at pretty much anywhere. I don't know how it would work on sensitive skin but I like it. Plus it smells good too. I love the shampoo that the groomer in town uses but I can't remember the name of it right now. It smells GREAT and makes them so soft and fluffy. It's great shampoo and I would think it would be good on sensitive skin because it helped Black Jack's skin. I'll get the name of it. :rolleyes: