BC Boards

Can you overdose ???

On Frontline ? We are having the worst year ever for ticks, as I'm sure many of you are. I was wondering if it would be OK to dose Kassie every 2 weeks instead of once a month. So far every tick I have taken off her is dead, and I believe that is a plus. I'm afraid the topical might weaken after two weeks. She is 22" and about 39lbs. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

Im not sure about the dosage thing, though it sound dangerous. But I can tell you that as long as they are dead, then the frontline is doing its job. Its not a repellant, it just kills fleas and ticks once they have bitten the dog.

Yep, what she said. I wouldn't dose every two weeks, as it DOES work for 1 month.

If you want to REPEL them look into K9 Advantix. It is NOT safe for cats, so do be aware of that (after we dose we keep dogs and cats seperated for a day or two - vet said overnight is sufficient). But it definitely keeps the ticks completely away, we haven't seen any on Zeeke since we started. (And he used to get ticks DAILY).

Actually for anyone having trouble with the efficacy of Frontline at 4 weeks (i.e., if you're finding live fleas or ticks) you CAN dose every three weeks. I have had several vets tell me this and recently queried my holistic vet as well, who also agreed that a once-every-three-weeks schedule would not be harmful to dogs.

J.

My vet advised no more that once a month. Im sure vets have differing opinions. They told me if she didnt get wet either by swimming, bathign whatever then it should be effective for a month. Riven swims when we camp so, we try to space her swimming till right before we re-dose her lol :rolleyes:

I HATE TICKS. and fleas, and anything else crawly... ew.