BC Boards

Formal Obedience Training Before Agility?

I've been back and forth with what to do about class next week. I was planning to start Nykie in the Intro Agility class, but I spoke with another trainer in my area that competes in USDAA and AKC Agility trials. She said that she prefers the dogs to have a formal obedience class before starting Agility. What is your opinion? Do you think a formal obedience class is best or do you prefer to train on your own?

Also, the more that I read the posts on here, the more that I'm thinking that I may put my male Sheltie in the Agility class and wait a few months before starting Nykie, since she's only 4 months old. Dreamer (the Sheltie) is almost 16 months old, so he's definitely ok to work on it (that's per vet, also).

Ditto. As long as the formal obedience class is positive, and not tooo formal! 4 months is still only a baby.

It certainly helps to have a reasonable level of basic obedience, and to have been building a great relationship with your dog. (Just make sure you do some right hand handling to balance the left hand stuff you'll be doing in obedience.)

And yes - do put your Sheltie boy into the agility calss - they make great little agility dogs - and it will give you some skills before starting Nykie.

And remember - whatever you're doing, have fun with yor dogs. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the input. :rolleyes: This class that I'm starting next week is just ground work and basics. Dreamer (Sheltie) is a large Sheltie. He actually passed up his parents, grandparents, and aunt in size. He is 19" and 41lbs (not fat, just solid). He has the obedience skills. He just hasn't shown the desire for the running...not like our other Sheltie or Nykie. I wanted to train our other Sheltie, Presley, but she has severe car sickness issues that we're still working on. I bought some Rescue Remedy which I've heard good things about, so we'll see if that works. Nykie, even though she's young, has done great on her stays and comes. I've worked her not only at home, but at the vet, Petsmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, and a small pet supply store. Thanks again!

I haven't actually trained formal obedience, but I would think it would be ok. If I did that, though, I would be sure to also train things like working on my right side as well as my left and distance work (going out to targets) outside of obedience class. I have seen several dogs come to agility from formal obedience training and had a harder time getting their dog to do distance and work on their right side for example.

It depends on the training itself, but formal obedience can be very helpful.

you end up with rock solid out of sight stays, very dog/people savvy, off leash control, directed jumping, and send aways (the dog goes out away from you in a straight line and continues on until told to do otherwise). Dazzle learned formal obedience except for "heel" which I don't know if I really want. Everything else did not effect her distance work at all and was mostly done either before or in conjunction with her agility training.

Formal obedience training doesn't necessarily mean competitive obedience training. Often it refers to obedience training taken through classes as opposed to "home schooling".

That's actually what I was referring to. I have no desire to compete in regular obedience competition. If I do any obedience competition (and I doubt it at this time), it will be Rally-O. :rolleyes: