BC Boards

loser

I have been a coward to beat all cowards ...

I was due to take the dog to the vet , spaying , today ... then all of a sudden she was sick twice yesterday (probably ate some grass like they all do)and then my old granny (she was a 101 like the dalmatians) decided to die so I CANCELLED the whole thing ...like it had any thing to do ? I just don't want to do this to my dog she's so happy and fine and healthy and well , so I chickened out of it . Everybody here is telling me I'm a brute to operate my dog . And everyone on this forum will tell me I'm an irresponsible airhead ..............................

Hey mado - don't beat yourself up. The stars were obviously wrong. BTW, I'm very sorry you've lost your granny - 101 is an amazing age. I have a dear aunt (also a dog person) who is 96, and I think that's pretty good.

The spaying thing is a worry - but the vast majority of them go absolutely fine. I had my male and female desexed on the same day - and 2 days later they were feeling so well they escaped by pushing out a small hole in the fence :eek: and went down on to the nearby street to play with some kids they had heard there. Luckily they were OK - and no problem with the stitches.

Oh, and if my dog had been throwing up twice, even if it was grass, I probably would have postponed too.

Just remember that all the arguments which persuaded you to spay in the first place are still valid. Just wait till the stars and planets are aligned better - or whatever!

Mado,

Don't beat yourself up. Leaving a dog at the vet for surgery is hard. I cried buckets in the car when I dropped Sam off for her spay. Even the times I just needed to leave them for x rays or such it was really, really hard.

Losing a family member would be more than I could handle as well. Take a few days and re-schedule. She'll be fine, you'll be a little bit more able to deal with it, and she'll be better off because you're better off.

Hope things go better for you soon.

Ruth n the BC3

I think that, considering your dog had vomited a couple of times (and could potentially be ill, no matter how minor it might be) and (much more significantly) a family member had passed away, you made the right decision.

Now, if you are going to spay, reschedule and proceed! Even though that's not what folks normally do where you live, it prevents certain diseases (certain cancers, pyometria), prevents the inconvenience and worry of heat cycles, and absolutely prevents unwanted/unplanned puppies! Who is to tell you that that is wrong?

Whatever your decision, it is your choice and your responsibility. What does your vet think about spaying/neutering? Maybe his/her thoughts will put your mind at rest.

Best wishes!

When we got Zeeke (1 year old, intact) I took a lot of flak online from people for not getting him neutered right away. However, he was sick (kennel cough) and the vet recommended we wait until he was completely healthy. You gotta keep the dog's health as the foremost concern, no matter what "others" might say. Sounds like it was a good idea to postpone.

Sorry to hear about your granny. :rolleyes:

Repeat after me. I will never use the term "l*ser" or any French or Flemish equivalent again!

Give yourself a break. Your instincts are a reflection of your core - not the fluff of frivolity. Managing risk and maintaining your equilibrium is the RIGHT thing to do. Have faith in your wisdom and her forgiveness and strength.

Thank you for being understanding I know I only got the optimist angles and no one has critised , I have been too emotional about this as usual ...

It's the fact also of being responsible for the decision alone . I was so relieved when some shots for babies were imposed by the State , and so anguished when I had to decide about chicken pox by myself...

When my daughter was around ten she had to have this minor operation with a light anesthesia , I kept postponing hoping the minor hearing trouble would go away , couldn't stand the idea of something being *done* to her ...it's the same with Tamyr , except it's a BIG thing for her .

I agree with all , I know and am totally aware and responsible , I have lived and worked with a vet who is veeeeeery convincing , it will be done perfectly by a perfectionist .

I have already re-scheduled it and hope I can come back here on Thursday 13th (ouch!)and proudly announce success -that's precisely the rub , it's not something I'll ever feel really proud of , unless I measure it by the amount of guilt and bad feeling it causes . Who's the merry clown that ever said things had to be hard , the path narrow and the journey difficult :D:rolleyes::D

mado I'm sorry to hear of your family member passing.

I also do not think a vet would want to put a pup under while sick and throwing up no matter what the reasonas as far as I'm concerned you did the right thing, your no coward.

And urge to herd I'm also glad to hear I am not the only person who cried when takeing there pup in for surgery.

Tom an Pegasus

It's ok , just couldn't handle all of it at once , but as I said we are going on the 13th , funeral is over today , and to my credit she did eat something bad because she was throwing up little puddles of nothing for a few days , then today came some tinfoil which obviously didn't go down right ...I am on a hotline with the vet but now she looks better .

this was a reassuring convo .

Sorry to hear about your gram. They refused to Neuter Dal after he developed diarrhea in the vets office so, illness is definitely a precluder. They did a float and it was sort of inconclusive but, they sent him home with antibiotics and to wait 14 days.

I dont think you would be normal if you didnt have some hesitation to sending someone you love under the knife.