BC Boards

Did I Do the Right Thing?

Yesterday morning, while out playing with the two dogs, a very cute and submissive, brown and white (roughly 6-7 mos old) unneutered male baby pit bull pup ran up to us. So I waited about a half hour, to see if someone would come looking for him and maybe claim him.

He wasn't wearing a collar and had crossed a somewhat busy street to get to us.

Also I noticed when he hopped in my lap for a pat session, that the whole underside of both legs, and some of his belly was tore up.

Well after waiting a bit more and having called the humane society, which told me that they would call back and never did, (probably because of Easter)my daughter and I took and put a leash on him and walked him around the block, just following wherever the pup led.

We got about a block away, whereupon a man, standing in his yard, called us over. So we went over to talk to him and he told us that the pup lived about another block away. He gave us the address and as we walked away, I heard him call,

"He'll be back out in about another hour!"

Well we arrived at the owner's house and I could see that the fence was full of holes. No wonder the pup had escaped!!

The pup's owner thanked us, and told us that "Spot" (the pup's name) must have gotten out. The owner seemed very unconcerned.

Well I'm pretty sure he must have stuck Spot back in the backyard again, because not 20 minutes later, I saw the pup running down the street again towards our house!!!

But this time a man managed to grab him and stroll off with him before I got there.

I'm thinking that next time he shows up at my house, I should take him to the pound or someplace. I'd hate to see such a nice pup(or any dog) get hit.

what do you think?

IMO, a risky life is far better than being locked up, heart-broken, and eventually killed at the pound!

But maybe you could persuade the owner to give him to you, and get him to a pit bull rescue, or something like that...

That what I was thinking. I think if I see him out today I will snag him. Hopefully there are some Pit bull rescues here in Spokane, or somewhere in WA. Because the pound out here isn't the best either...

~Runs off to do some interenet research...

I would still let the humane society know about the situation...where the pup lives. To be honest...if he keeps getting loose...the dog will fall victim to a car or a pit bull hater.

Ditto! See about no-kills or PB rescues too! Geez, people blow my mind. My animals are like my babies, and I guess I just can't imagine how people can be unconcerned like that...

- Brooke -

A stray rottie showed up at my house one day - looked to be maybe 3 months old - decimated and dragging about 8 feet of heavy chain. The guy who picked him up said he'd get the dog into Rott Rescue here... found out after the fact that he lied. Our local humane society does not cooperate with rescues, and any dogs that come in that are on their aggressive list (such as rotties, pitties, and dobies) are given three days for owner to claim, and then euthanized... no questions asked. I say this to let you know to be careful, as they don't always tell you about that part until it's too late. :rolleyes:

I'd be tempted to snatch up the wee beastie next time he came calling and call rescue though!

I have to echo the sentiment that I'd never take a pit bull to any type of euthanizing shelter. Many don't adopt them out at all as a matter of policy, and even at the ones who do, a pit bull is going to have a lower chance of being adopted. Sometimes they are, but a lot of them don't get out in time. Also, I don't know that I'd trust a municipal shelter with placing a pit in a good, safe home. The adoption process is too often just, "Sign here and pay the adoption fee", and that invites way too many "bad" adopters.

I understand wanting to get him off the street though. If you're willing to put forth the effort and time to get him into a rescue (pit bull or all-breed), I'd go ahead and contact them now. Just tell them that there's a pit bull that you've seen wandering loose a lot and would they be able to take him if you can catch him.

I know if I was routinely finding the same dog that was repeatedly getting loose, I'd definitely hit a point of not taking them back time after time.

How irresponsible of the owner to leave a fence unsecure. I would agree with the suggestion to try and find a rescue centre in your area, explain the situation and ask their advice in case you see the pup again, if it happened again i would definately grab the pup and bring him to the centre.

If you don't see the pup over the next few days, it might be an idea to walk by the garden and check, because if the fence isn't fixed the owner may have decided to tie the poor thing up.

Walked by today. Fence still not fixed. But didn't see the pup either. If I do and he happens to follow me home....

well let's just say then he will definately be off to a better place with caring people. :rolleyes:

Out here our human society does adopt out pittbulls. Unfortuately i've seen that they also adopt out scarred up fighter ones. But I still would rather get him into rescue than the pound.

I'm looking into that now, so next time I will be ready, and have somewhere for him to go.

These folks are in the Pacific Northwest and probably know of a pit bull rescue near you --- you might drop them an email.

The Spokane Humane Society seems to keep dogs for a long time.

Unfortuately i've seen that they also adopt out scarred up fighter ones.

Here's a badly scarred-up pit bull:

0305071618a.jpg

Sorry for the crummy cell phone snap. That's the shelter supervisor ["You gotta see this dog --- he's fantastic"] holding him. "Meathead" was the dog's nickname, an intact male with some serious fight scars on his shoulders, legs and head, and if I had the room I would have adopted this boy in a heartbeat. Glorious, friendly bully temperament, super with kids, and at the shelter he was kept in the same run with an adult male chow. As BAD RAP points out, a dog with fight scars may have been trying like heck to avoid the fight.

Hope the poor little pup winds up in a better situation. You're good to keep an eye on him.

Thanks for the links!

This one that I saw was definately dog aggressive. As I witnesssed when they walked a couple dogs by his cage.

From BAD RAP:

Should DOG AGGRESSIVE pit bulls be euthanized?

Since we know that dog aggression does not equate with human aggression, we believe dog aggressive pit bulls with wonderful people-loving personalities deserve the same opportunity to enjoy life as more dog tolerant pit bulls. Pit bulls are highly trainable, and even the more dog aggressive individuals can be RESPONSIBLY MANAGED by their smart and loving owners so there never has to be concern of a tussle.

My heart dog [a pit bull] was hugely dog-aggressive and bullish on life in general. He was perfectly wonderful with people, though, and always great with my border collies. The presence of another dog, especially another male dog, could turn my boy into all kinds of crazy. We used to wait outside at the vet's, like lepers 215.gif He was an incredible dog --- my friends still talk about him, and I miss him tons. He was "responsibly managed" and never got in a fight or came close to getting in a fight.

Also, lots of dogs fence fight at the shelter whether that's normal behavior for them or not --- it's a stressful environment.

Stickin' up for my other favorite breed... cool2.gif

Hello , I was thinking reading this thread that you haven't really communicated with the owner ...maybe a helpful road would be to talk to him directly , like people should do more , share your concerns before you do anything rash behind his back , leaving him no chance to react appropriately ?

He might just not be aware of things , or it's his first dog , whatever ...people are often weird but still a little communication could help , and it's not as if you couldn't find him ...he might just be an ignorant decent sort ???

Not my real pessimistic self here , but maybe something in the air makes me think positive for once :rolleyes:

Well I did tell him that his dog came across a busy street to get to my house, almost got hit, and that I'd hate to see such a cute pup get hit or stolen(among many other dangers). His cold expression said bug off. He was very unconcerned.

And the pup must have been immediatley put back in the backyard again, because he was running loose again, 20 mins after I had returned him. I saw him running towards my house again.

Plus I have seen this pup around many times but had never caught him before Easter morning.

You tell me if you really think this guy cares, and deserves another chance!

Have you seen him anymore? If you do I would take him to a pb rescue or a shelter that doesn't put them down. He sounds like a nice pup. After some health care and some real love I bet someone would be thankful to have him (even if he doesn't)

I just don't understand some people, and some dog owners. But I won't get myslef started on that :rolleyes: