BC Boards

Bug Chaser?

Does anyone have any experience with their Border Collie tracking/chasing bugs? I am worried about our newly adopted guy, McCoy. It seems he is a bug chaser! He will stop whatever it is he is doing (even ignoring the frisbee) to follow bumble bees, wasps, etc through the air. Worst things is, he snaps at them. I've started carrying Benadryl with me most everywhere. Anyone have any suggestions to stop this behavior? I'm really not looking forward to the day when he gets stung, since we have no idea whether or not he is allergic.

I have a couple that will snap at bees and other winged (and stinging) insects. I just tell them "no" or "leave it" and they stop. So maybe you need to teach McCoy the meaning of a correction (if you haven't already) and then let him know that such behavior is unacceptable to you. It might also help to put an insect repellent on him when he's outside as it may help keep away from him the insects he's inclined to chase.

J.

We do a lot of hiking and have found that putting Avon's Skin So Soft on the dogs before we leave the house helps keep the bugs away from them.

I put some in a bottle and spray them lightly. It is a little greasy on their coat but after a good day of hiking they always get a bath so it's not a big deal.

We have never had a bee sting or bug bite yet.

Tiga does the same thing. I do the same as Julie. If it's a bee or wasp or something like that he'll get a "leave it". If it's a bug inside like spider, housefly or something, I just let him kill it. He'll play with it until it's dead then leave it for me to pick up.

My non-BC Jaida tracks yellow jackets in the yard and sometimes gets them. I can tell because of the way she looks like she's spitting out something yucky tasting. She hasn't died yet - and it's usually her only form of outside exercise on her own :rolleyes:

Daisy tracks down moths and butterflies and things in the summer months. She sits and whines and crys at flys. God knows why !!

She will snap at the moths and once she has them on the ground she pounces on them to make sure they dont fly then walks away !! Its hilarious !

A little bit of interest in bugs (and birds, squirrels, etc.) is normal and a "leave it" command comes in handy.

It sounds like McCoy is more than interested in the bugs though. If that's the case then that wouldn't be healthy. Any obsessive (or borderline) behavior usually means that a dog needs more mental stimulation and maybe physical exercise too.

BC's are known for being "quirky". BC's are incredibly intelligent and generally high energy dogs too. Many of those "quirks" are symptoms of a dog who is being insufficiently challenged.

My old Mickey dog was allergic to bee stings. I can think of three times in her life where she got stung and her face swelled. I would have to rush her to the vet so she could get a shot to bring down the swelling. She looked like a boxer after a particularly rough match! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback everyone I'm glad I'm not the only one with a bug obsessed Border Collie. It sounds like his behavior is pretty normal. It's defnintely not obsessive since I know he is getting plenty of exercise/stimulation. We typically go for a 5/6 mile run in the morning, frisbee at lunch, and an off leash hike in the afternoon. Now that's it's warming up, we've been fishing (he LOVES watching the lure fly into the water), canoeing (he's still getting used to this), attempting to swim, and we are starting agility next week. At the end of the day he's usually so tired we have to lure him upstairs to bed! So the bug behavior must just be one of his crazy quirks :rolleyes: