BC Boards

Wanna hear something really scary?

As y'all know, I have my daughters rott/pitt. Slowly, he and Jackson learned to live together with no fighting. Y'all also may know that I have a rescue BC, Buddy, here. Well, since bringing Buddy home, Otis was relugated back to his BR, except when let out. Buddy has always acted like he really wanted to get to Otis when Buddy would be in the back, and Otis would be outside the fence. I just didn't want to take any chances with this guy. Tonight, I let Otis out, and sat here watching TV. I heard Otis scratching at the front door. So I call Buddy, to put him in my room while letting Otis in. No Buddy!! Look in all the rooms. No Buddy! Went out back. No Buddy! Oh, my God, what the sam hill is going on??? I go out back again, and call loud as I can. And here comes Otis and Buddy, tails wagging, grinning ear to ear! Like they have been best buds their whole life!

Now, I gotta figure out how Buddy got out! Jeeze, I hope he is not a fence jumper! My fence is only 4' so I will check the fence tomorrow!

Right now I gotta go kill some dogs,.............

LOL :rolleyes: Dont you love when you're scared to death something happened and it turns out they're tricking you. My stupid cat disappeared the other day and my husband and I searched the backyard cause Riven kept going out there, and when I came in freaking out finally out of the cabinet here he comes. How the hell he got in there I have no clue. Its got a wooden spoon inbetween the 2 handles so it cant pull open... Unless Riven loosened it for him.. which I wouldnt put past her.

Dogs, we just have to live and learn with them - or live without learning - time after time these Border Collies can trick us. :D

While ago I had something like that happen.

We went out for the day so I put Dazzle in her crate as usual. When I come home, no Dazzle in the crate. However the crate was open (so she didn't evaporate or something). I call her and, kinda worried, I go to look in the guest room - there she is snoozing on the bed (under the covers and head on the pillow I might add :rolleyes: ). Not a care in the world!

That is when I learned that she can open her crate on her own - now we have to put a lock on the darn thing! :D

LOL Awwww. They just wanted to play. :rolleyes:

My cat did that to me the other day. Since we put the air conditioners in he's figured out how to get out through the side of them, so we keep the office door closed. In the evening I couldn't find him so I started looking in all the usual spots, no cat. I know the door was closed, but I check the AC unit anyhow, and it's not pried apart. I'm calling, checking, wondering where the %!%# he is, and decide he MUST have gotten outside... somehow. On a hunch I checked the AC unit in the bedroom and sure enough, it's pried apart and there's a gap. ARRGGG. In order to do that he had to have jumped up and stood on TOP of the dog crates.... and he's rather afraid of Zeeke. So I never thought he'd do that....

Crazy animals. If they can do it, even if there's only a slight possibility, they'll figure out away. Especially when motivated!

My husband strongly feels that life isn't truly interesting until you have more children - or dogs - than you have humans. Well, at a ratio of 5 dogs to 2 humans, our lives are growing more interesting by the day.

The weird part is that Mitzi is so small (and I have so much junk in my trunk) that unless she is out in front of me or WAY behind me, I can't see her when we're walking around. She's already figured out the "all dogs follow Laura everywhere" rule, and of course she likes to walk exactly one foot directly behind me, and I cannot SEE her (but occasionally she'll lick my heels, ewww). She kinda scampers and darts around (for a fat dog she's pretty fast) so I continuously worry about stepping on her, or losing her.

We had such brutal thunderstorms yesterday that I was terrified of accidently leaving her outside!! Not a fun feeling. I feel like I should line them up like children for a head count or something. Evil little beasties.

Buddy has always acted like he really wanted to get to Otis when Buddy would be in the back, and Otis would be outside the fence. I just didn't want to take any chances with this

Maybe he's wanted to play all along!

Hard to say how they think or feel.

Years ago bbc (before Border Collies) I had a Great Dane, GSD, and a Weimaraner. Weimaraners are extremely smart dogs, but only out for themselves. They can not only sniff out and find food anywhere, but they can and will devise a plan to get that food.

Well my dogs kept getting out of the yard and running in the field next door. I knew the Weimaraner jumped fences. No fence could ever hold her in. But the other two dogs never jumped. I just happened to go out one day in time to see the Weimaraner jump on a part of the chain link fencing that didn't happen to be secured to the fence post and she was standing on it holding it down till the other two dogs walked out. Then they all ran off happily. Not only that she did the same thing for them to get back in! I fixed the fence after that and I had no more escapes.

That's funny. What would we do without dogs? God Bless

Hmmm, well Phoenix bolted (literally) out the front door the other day!! He used to be afraid of even going near the front door that lead to the car! But my old girl Mirra, managed to open the door (my fault... not latched properly), and Phoenix (from downstairs) saw her go out & take off down the driveway while my middle girl Sitka was also heading out the door behind me while going out to get Mirra, however, I managed to grab her tail and stop her, BUT while stopping Sitka, BAM... there goes Phoenix! He has never done that to me! Well, my heart drops to my stomach and is about to pound out of my chest. I started praying out loud... oh God please, please don't let him go, please God, please... I yell to Mirra, "ya wanna go bye bye?", she turns and goes to the car... in the meantime Phoenix is already at the end of our 200 ft plus driveway, and totally out of sight!!! :eek: I called "HERE BOY!!!" (always worked before!), but nooooooooo waaaaaay, he ran so fast past Mirra he didn't even notice she turned around. Soooo, I yell, "where's your frisbee???!!!!" I ruuuuuun, like a maniac woman, down 2 flights of steps, out to the back yard, grab his all time favorite frisbee, back up the steps, tripping over my own feet! bout to pass out from lack of oxygen, get to the front door.... a n d, guess who is sitting there just as pretty and good as you would ever want, with a look on his face like, well...., c'mon Mom, thought ya wanted to play!!!!

I think he was testing ME!!! and he won! whew!!!

I knew I HAD, to quickly regain my "consciousness", and manage a game of frisbee, or he would never let me forget in some devious little Border Collie way! :rolleyes:

So, my question????do ya think it was because he was actually listening to me (like a well trained dog on recall, prob not)? or do ya think maybe because he had NEVER been out front without me (we train and play in our big out of sight front yard) he freaked and got scared and came back for me??? or was it me asking him "where's your frisbee?", which he will always go searching for, always!

With these dogs who knows! He came back so I should just be grateful! Right!?!

Dixie Girl.....sorry didn't mean to ursurp your post... I think your Otis and Buddy, just wanna have fun! PS... did ya ever figure out how he got out?

lol Riven escapes out the front door alot and runs down the sidewalk. The only way to get her back (because she obviously has hearing problems when she isnt fenced in)is to get the car and open the door. She jumps in and we drive back to the driveway. Like a whole 100 feet max... Works every time. She'll do anything for a car ride no matter how short lol.

JoeAnne, OMG! That must have been so scary! Well, maybe it was a little bit of everything that got him back! I never found out how he got out but we think it is where the fence comes to the corner of the house because it is not latched to the house. So we think he squeezed through!

Riven sounds like Cheyenne! She is happy if all I do is re-park the truck! LOL

Before we moved when we had a garage she wouldnt come in the house and my husband went around one side of the car and I went around the other. Thinking she was smart she jumped in the window into the back seat. Except the window was closed. She smashed her nose and face onto it and then ran back inside .. I think she was actually embarassed lol. :rolleyes::D