BC Boards

best materials for dream dog room-what works

Hey there

We are talking about adding on about 800 sq ft ro our house. Some folks dream of the killer kitchen or entertainment room but I, want the ultimate super-functional, indestructible, practical mud room/dog room. Keep in mind, as I tell my husband, this is about brainstorming and dreaming b/c as we know what we want and what we can actually buy, remain at opposite ends of the spectrum.

So far, I want the floor to either be industrial grade stuff that they use in car garages OR Marmoleum. A drain to hose the floor down would be cool. A very small fridge. I saw a great mud room in a mag, with a dog bath with a shower hose right next to the door-I'd like one of those. Walls would have to be scrubable. Needs some counter space. It will house their crates, bowls, food and treats, toys, meds, gear etc. I guess a nice deep sink would be in order. Big window and ceiling fan. Radio. Pocket door.

Anything else you guys have or use or can suggest for all things pet in the dream pet room.

..and no I haven't been drinking, I'm just exhausted and really need to be asleep

I understand. I, too, dream of a dog room/mud room some day.

1. Lots of hooks for leashes, collars, etc.

2. Shelves with cubby holes for toys as well as gloves, etc for winter.

3. At least one locked cabinet for the meds and the super yummy treats.

4. Freezer for food (okay that is my dream as I feed raw).

Since you're having the drain hole so you can wash the floor down (great idea), maybe a low platform (ideally removable) for their crates to sit on would be good, so the crates won't be on wet floor.

Your dream room sounds wonderful - my problem would be persuading the dogs that the whole house wasn't the dog room!

Pocket doors that are actually gates. Dogs can be confined safely yet see out, and gates slid in and out of the door frame.

Platform for washing/drying/grooming dogs, built to a height that allows you to stand comfortably and work on the dog.

Washer/dryer for dog towels.

Sound system

I know I'll think of more.

Ruth n the BC3

We have this in our garage and love it. Having one for the dogs at counter height is really nice. It's also useful for cleaning up; we use it like a large laundry tub. I've seen tubs set at counter height with counter tops on one or both ends of the tub. We have a mudroom for the dogs with commercial grade tiles on the floor. I built a wooden shelf (attached to the studs in the walls) that goes the length of one wall and is deep enough to hold wire crates; this provides space for 3 large wire crates under the shelf and 3 on top. If I were to do it again I'd put melamine on the walls around the crates to make clean-up easier. Leave a space for a large air purifier; we found this helps keep the odors out of the rest of the house. We have a dutch-door which allows us to keep the dogs in that room without closing off that room to air flow. Having cross ventilation and/or a venting sky light is a great way to keep the room cool when the AC is not running.

IMG_0317.jpg

Mark

i dont know about the rest of the room, but we bought our house from a dog groomer and the out house came with its own doggie bath. its possibly not the most sophisticated of things. they simply cut a piece out of the side of a fibreglass/plastic bath (dunno what its actually made of) and made ot look pretty with some wood and sillicone. the whole thing was then mounted on a frame so the cutout is at waist height add a powershower that i got second hand and bobs your uncle (oh dont forget the plumbing underneath!). oh the luxury of being able to clean stinky dogs indoors and without bending. i will never ever be without my dog bath ever again!

it also comes in very handy for when i am dying my hair as i always get more on the floor than i get on my hair, the dogs dont give a monkeys if they have interestingly coloured spots on their floor or bath. if you want i can take some piccies of it to give you some idea of how it was made?

oh i forgot to add, the floor is stick on cheating laminate wood, the walls are cerise pink (i wasnt allowed to use it in my hallway :rolleyes: ) and i have a 'fetch the vet' (uk cartoon kiddies program) border along one wall complete with stick on collie stickers! i have a piece of kitchen worktop reclaimed from a building site, and got my friend to weld me some stainless steel legs for it. i have a baby bath tub thingy that i fill from the shower to wash up in. i bought a 6 foot chest freezer 2nd hand from my old workplace for the doggies raw food, and a fridge i got given. oh and stable doors with chubb locks either end, with a window either side of the door at each end too.

it is my dream dog house and i'm sure they would love to use it, its just a shame its full of rabbits at the moment! poor doggies made homeless by some bunnies :D

I'd want something like a pool enclosure. Glass walls on three sides. I'd want stone on the south side to soak up the sun in winter and be cool in the summer. Thermal shades to control temperature and light. Rubber flooring elsewhere. I'd have a multi-tier cement shower/tub enclosure for boots and pups to be clean in and to play in , controllable dog doors, a fake mountain with plateaus and a den or two, rubber bungies attached to the ceiling and walls, lockers for the toys and food and a small refer/freezer. There would be a fireplace, soft thick washable rugs and comfy places to flop and a crate or crates. A pair of comfy washable chairs for DH and I to borrow when we were there and an over/under washer dryer. Sigh....

Mark that is a great set up you have. very cool.

Donna you said it LUXURY to "clean stinky dogs indoors and without bending" The cut out tub side sounds like it does the job.

WOW that's cool Heidi. "multi-tier cement shower/tub enclosure for boots and pups to be clean in and to play in , controllable dog doors" OK I'll go with that too.

What are the bungees for?

I'd put eye loop right next to the tub too to put a short tether for bathing so I can use two hands freely. Curly always gets that look of, "If I flee right now..." so I have to hold his collar.

keep on dreamin'

The bungees are for toys. I don't have enough room in our house to take advantage of our 23' ceilings or clear level ground under our trees for toy dangling. Its an awful lot of fun and good exercise. I've been thinking about a pole.