BC Boards

Snow + Fluffy dogs?

Having some Internet trouble tonight (I am lucky to be posting this) so I can't Google. What was it that you could put on dogs' paws to keep the snowballs off? :confused:

We had a "big" snow (about 6", with some still falling, not a lot - but enough). The little fuzzy Shih-Tzus are having a hard time (only 8" tall). Dazzle is doing OK but still getting snow between her toes. They (especially the little ones) would greatly appreciate it if anyone new the remedy to snowballs on fur! :rolleyes: Tonight we just stuck the dogs in warm water and melted the snow off - they were not happy about that.

(and Sandra, I told you I would get a video of the little guys tunneling through deep snow if we had any....well, tomorrow we WILL have that video for you! :D )

Kat, I can't wait to see the little dogs fight theor way through the snow! Tell Dazzle to tough it out, she's a real dog :rolleyes: And to enjoy the snow to the max and pose nicely so we can all see her in the white stuff!

P.S. Kessie and Ouzo don't need booties for snow

(and Sandra, I told you I would get a video of the little guys tunneling through deep snow if we had any....well, tomorrow we WILL have that video for you! [big Grin])
That's neat, especially since tomrrow is Friday (get-up-early-day) and a morning laugh will be very welcome :rolleyes:

I think it was some kind of grease (something from the horse world?) that people used for the fur...and some just cut the paw fur in winter. There was a thread on this last winter I think...

Kessie only gets ice clumps between her toes on certain days (depending on snow conditions), so it never was a big issue, but I agree, it sucks on those days! It helps to stay off the paths, she doesn't feel it so much while walking on soft snow. Walking on hard ground, she'll always stop to get rid of them. But luckily it doesn't happen too often.

The snow panties she'll just have to deal with...or would have to, if we had any snow this year!!

OMG, Kat, you weren't kidding about the snow balls sticking to the poor little pup! I totaly understand now :eek:

Guess tomorrow you'll have to pull out the vaseline, Pam spray and everything and walk a greased out pair of Shih Tzu's :rolleyes:

Aww poor puppy! All the more reason I'm glad my girl has a shorter coat and that nice weather proof coat. :rolleyes:

I'd try the Pam spray - sounds easier to use than vaseline and easier to clean off. I wonder if hair conditioner would have the same effect w/o the mess...

I've used a knockoff of Musher's Secret w/ Maggie and it was a wax form, so I dunno how well that would work for whole body issues.

I think we will try the Pam for the little ones (Dazzle couldn't care less about it :rolleyes: ). Although I can see that as being a big, slippery, fuzzy mess! :D But if it can keep the little critters from freezing their paws off....

Maybe I will test all kinds of different stuff (vaseline, conditioner, Pam...) One chemical for each foot and see what works best. :D

Wow, now I feel bad for her! :eek:

Black Jack gets some snow on his feet but not enough to make him stop playing. I just pick them off when we get in the house. :rolleyes:

Oh my word! Walking snowballs :rolleyes: Maybe you should go right to the food safe teflon spray :D:D:D

I figured Missy would be leaveing grease prints all over the house the first time I put vaseline on her feet. But most of it seemed to wear off when she was running around outside, and I didn't notice any tracks after she got back in.

I clip all the hair on the underside of Hannah's feet and between her toes so there is nothing for the snow to stick to. She doesn't get snowballs when there is almost no hair there. She'll get them on her body but those ones don't bother her. I just keep her in her x-pen until they melt off (I tried using the blow dryer but it took forever!!). I also bought some cheap booties at walmart that I put on her if its really cold outside. Anything below -18 and it seems to hurt her feet making her limp on as many legs as she can.

Videos and some pics coming soon..
Well...?? :rolleyes:

Those little guys look exactly like Kessie does on days like that, but they've got shorter legs! (I don't know why, but I just had to think of Kessie's hairy pal, Artus, who sometimes got a huge snowball you-know-where :D )

Poor Artus!!

Those videos are still coming! I promise! I got side tracked and took Dazzle outside to play again, and again, and again instead. :rolleyes: We love big snow! Just don't like all the ice on the roads... going down to 16 degrees tonight. Brrr.

As for the little guys, I found an OLD pair of doggie boots for Peanut (just gonna have to live with snowballs on the belly! I am NOT cutting her fur! :D ) and the other I cut her fur a bit shorter and sprayed her a bit with anything I could find. That worked OK.

And now that the snow is getting frozen they are just walking on top of it anyway - that is a bonus that only 8 pound dogs get.