BC Boards

9 week Puppy hates leash

Hi folks, new to this forum and was hoping that someone out there could give me some advice.

I just received a 9 week old border collie for a birthday present which was fantastic, it is now the 4th day since i received it and i just noticed that he hates the leash. Each time i go to get the leash, he hides in the corner, and when i hook it up on him, he'll just lie there and wont move one inch, even if i slightly tug on the leash, he'll prefer to be dragged rather than stand up and walk with me. I'm just trying to get him used to walking on the leash so i can take him for walks once he's had all his vacination. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Laz ST

Tie a thin rope to his collar and let him drag it around. He will finally get tired of laying still and will give in and started walking/running/playing with the rope tied to the collar. Just make sure to keep an eye on him at all times and take the rope off before crating him (if you crate).

You can also jut keep the leash attached to his collar.

Relax. Almost no puppy automatically takes to the leash. One of the most common ways to get your dog used to it is to do the above advice. Just attach it to his collar, but don't hang on to the other end. Then get down on the floor and play with him. Start slow. Don't try to take him for a walk until he's comfortable with the collar.

Next (after Kim's suggestion)...

once he is used to dragging the leash around, pick up the end and call him to you. do not tighten the leash at this point. Reward him for coming (and for not pulling against the leash). Then, start taking a few steps at time - backwards - always rewarding for a loose leash. When he is good at that - not fighting the leash, and trying to keep it slack - turn slightly away from him so that he is by your left side and try taking a few steps forward. Again, reward if the leash stays slack and he doesn't fight it. Keep the training sessions really short for a young pup - maybe 5 minutes at a time. Before you know it, you'll have a dog who LIKES to walk on a loose leash, and doesn't fight it. :rolleyes:

I agree, Deb. actually, I DO use treats as a reward in leash training (and a clicker, God forbid, to mark the good stuff) but I figured my other description would be more "generic" and not start a treat vs. praise or clicker discussion. The same thing CAN be accomplished without either "prop" IF you have good timing and a pup who works for praise. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

My 17 week old has finally stopped trying to shred her collar and tear out her neck fur with her hind legs. We have two leads, a 6' and a retractable 'flat' lead. She bit through the previous round rope retractable in about a week. The flat one works for her.

When I use the retractable and leave the spring mechanism free. Meg will grab the lead and 'walk' me to relieve tension. When its locked and long, she'll take a loop in the lead to shorten it and get more control over me. Sigh.

We try to keep her one a lead in the house when she's not crated but she isn't thrilled by being constrained when the cat isn't.

Megs most defining brattyness seems to stem from envy. She reminds me of a goat.

Guest grscott
Originally posted by laurie etc:

I agree, Deb. actually, I DO use treats as a reward in leash training (and a clicker, God forbid, to mark the good stuff) but I figured my other description would be more "generic" and not start a treat vs. praise or clicker discussion. The same thing CAN be accomplished without either "prop" IF you have good timing and a pup who works for praise. :rolleyes:

Try hard with praise first. You'll always have it with you. :D

Regards

Hi to another Aussie. If you haven't owned a Border Collie before, can I suggest you do as much reading as you can - about puppy training in general, and Border Collies in particular. There are some great articles on this site - go to the Home page and you'll be able to find them. It's also a good idea to find a puppy/dog training class that you feel comfortable with, and start there. Unless your vet has a baby puppy kinder, you're pretty much stuck for class until after your pup has had his second shots. But in the meantime, you can go have a look at a couple of classes. I know something about some of the clubs in Melbourne, so if you want to PM me, I can maybe give you some suggestions.

Congrats!!! :rolleyes: and welcome to the wonderful world of BCs.

I recommend going to classes (as well as reading about puppy training) as they teach you haw to train the dog and how to look after him. Im not sure where about in Melbourne you are but i know most vets run these puppy pre school classes and there are obedience classes around. I know a few in my area (and a few not in my area).