BC Boards

Lifes a Beach

Twice a week, I have a class on the maltreatment of children. It's often thought provoking and stressful and I am always more than ready for a long walk with Tex after class.

We have been studying Intermittent Explosive Disorder and the factors that cause a normal person to flip out and have roadrage or commit child abuse.

This whole town is one long beach and tho I love it, Tex Hates the beach. He doesn't swim, the wind disorients him, he can't feel around with his feet in the deep sand and the waves go up his nose because he can't see them coming.

When we're at the beach, I paddle around and Tex just stands there, twitching his eyebrows and looking worried. Last night I coaxed him to get his toenails wet. Afterwards, he had a huge zoomie, rolling and barking, committing driftwood abuse and acting like a fool. His stress overtook his emotional control and he became a textbook example of Intermittent Explosive Disorder. I laughed til it hurt.

Why don't you teach him to swim? There have been lots of posts on how to do this. I adopted an adult rescue who had never seen water. Wouldn't go near it. In one summer, three months, I had her running and diving off the dock. If you have a place where you can get into the water with him, teaching him to swim and love the water is pretty easy.

I was just reading an article on this disorder. Studies show it is an actual mental disorder that is on the rise. Regarding Tex, for the sighted we take so much for granted. The beach must be very difficult for him. It is a demonstration of his trust in you that he got his toe nails wet. I admire your work with Tex. I am looking forward to how things go with the new dog. Keep us posted.

Toni

Sue,

I agree. If I wanted to try to teach a blind dog to swim I think I'd do it in a very controlled setting, like a pool, where the dog could learn the "edges," but even then I think you'd have to rig up something like a bell that could mark where it's possible to exit. I don't know if it would be worth the stress and anxiety it might cause him though.

Jo, I assume Tex can hear you paddle around and so knows where you are when you're swimming?

J.

I don't blame Tex for hating water with waves - it's not that fun getting smacked in the face with cold water even if you CAN see it coming, let alone if you can't. Plus, how to know where he's going? It's so featureless. My semi-blind dog fell in a river once, which was pretty scary - it was at flood stage from the spring run-off and another much larger dog whipped around and accidentally body-checked her right into the drink. Even with partial sight she was going the wrong way til we (three of us) screamed loud enough to orient her. I was getting ready to dive in even though it was dangerous water and I'm not a strong swimmer. Luckily she got oriented and turned it around and I was able to scoop her out by her harness. Does Tex manage better on the wetter/firmer sand near the water, out of curiosity? I think it speaks to his dedication and the bond between you two that he's willing to wade through the annoying soft sand and go near the splashy water in order to be with you. Bless his heart. I'm sure he's amply rewarded for his devotion, though.

I wonder if, in a calm pool setting, a blind dog could be taught to swim in a "tow" situation by holding onto a rope or a tug toy pulled by the owner? It might just be too overwhelming anyway, and probably not practical to persue for Tex specifically (not like there's a strong need to get him comfy in the water, probably). Just wonder if it that would be possible as a means of guiding a blind dog in water.

I think it is too overwhelming for Tex to learn to swim. He will go in belly deep when I insist he needs a bath but he mutters and grumbles the whole time. His girlfriend DaisyMae is an bc/otter and I hope Fargo will be too.

Where are you going to the beach? Gatineau Provincial Park? Man, I have some great memories of camping there with my family when I just finished my junior or senior year of high school. What I do remember s telling my folks that I was hanging out at the campsite of some teens whose folks had brought them up there. And with a slightly older person named Simone. All was well until my Dad realized that Simone (a female down here) was the Canadian marine named Simon with whom he shaved each morning! Then I was in deep yoghurt! Ah, but that was a fun week.

Where are you going to the beach? Gatineau Provincial Park
I'll take the liberty of replying for Jo since I know her access to computers is fairly limited.

Nope, definitely not Gatineau...it would be around an 9 hour drive, give or take :rolleyes:

We're both near the Great Lakes.

Tex is a treasure and he really does trust Jo. For a blind dog, and he is TOTALLY blind, he's sure doesn't let many things faze him which is a true testament to Jo's determination to allow Tex an 'ordinary' dog life