BC Boards

Concerned About My Puppy...Help!

Hello all,

I am new to the board and was hoping someone could help me. I have owned dogs for over 15 years. I have owned mostly German Shepards and Rottweilers. Please bear with me as this post is a little long but it does have a point and a question.

Last month I decided that I wanted to purchase a new puppy and since I have an interest in equestrian sports that involve working with livestock I thought that a herding dog would be the way to go. I was originally looking for an Australian Cattle Dog but saw and ad in my paper for Border Collies. I hadn't intended to buy a BC but went to visit the breeder anyway and fell in love with a blue merle male puppy. This breeder was Richard Swafford and I purchased the puppy for $400. It seemed odd to me that he had so many puppies as it seemed like a 'mill' type environment but the way that this breeder spoke it seemed that there was a great demand for the dogs he was breeding so I assumed that perhaps he bred so many dogs because there was a demand for so many. He spoke of some ofhis championship dogs etc. I met the parents of my pup and they seemed to have good temperments etc.

Almost against my better judgement I paid the money for this pup. I love the pup and he is wonderful but now I find out all of these things about Swafford such as his suspension from the ABCA which he mentioned my pup would be eligible for registration with. I emailed him once I saw the notice about him being suspended from the ABCA and he says that he never mentioned that the pup could be ABCA registered.

I'm not really sure what is going on there but I have heard some awful thigns on thsi board. I feel awful I didn't know any better though I should have gone with my gut.

Should I be concerned that my dog is not purebred or extremely inbred? How do I know if my dogs parents are who they are stated? Is he still eligible for registration with the CKC? Do I have any options available to me as far as being able to compete with this dog in any kind of sanctioned event for agility or conformation? He really is a lovely pup but I'm really concerned about this whole situation....I am upset as I feel that I was misled and the breeder misrepresented himself and his dogs. I wanted to one day breed my dog and I thought that he would be able to be triple registred (ckc, abca and then through them akc)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd also like to know of anyone who has had problems similar to these with this breeder...This is just disgraceful.

Thank you in advance for your help.

>

No point beating yourself up about it now. You weren't the first, you won't be the last.

>

You have no way of knowing. Just enjoy the pup for what he is and hope for the best. He could be fine.

>

Yes. Pretty much anything is eligible for registration with the CKC.

>

I don't think USDAA or NADAC require that a dog be registered to compete in their agility events. I would forget about conformation.

>

I don't blame you for being upset for those reasons, but the worst of it IMO is that you inadvertantly supported a puppy mill breeder. Perhaps your post will save others from the same fate. You can file a complaint with the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs by going to http://www.state.tn.us/consumer/ and click on "File a Complaint" at the lower right of your screen.

>

Breeding is a serious decision that should not be made before you've even got the dog, and before you know enough not to buy from a bad breeder. Have you read the introductory post in this forum, entitled READ THIS FIRST?

>

There are certainly people who have -- perhaps some will contact you.

I am more sympathetic than I sound. It just makes me so sad to read stories like this. Good luck to you and your pup -- I hope he turns out good.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Even though you may not be able to do some of the things you were planning on, your pup may turn out to be a wonderful addition and you will be extremely glad you have him.

There are a lot of us on the Board who have BCs from rescue and don't know our dog's lineage, family health history or have papers of any kind. However, you will find that some of these dogs are amazing at agility, flyball, SAR, and many other activities and go on to do great things. They are wonderful and loving members of our families.

Also, there are other ways to get your pup sanctioned to compete in various dog sporting events and if you post your questions you can probably get some very good help in that direction. Conformation is probably out, though.

I think that the best thing you can do if you are concerned about your pup's lineage is NOT to breed him. As you probably have gathered from reading various threads on this Board, this is an area that engenders very strong feelings -- and rightfully so. Your own experience is one of the best reasons not to breed your pup.

Wishing you the best with your new BC pup. If you feel inclined, we'd love to see pictures.

Thank you all for your replies.

I had considered getting a dog to breed only because at the time I was looking for a quality dog that would produce good working quality pups that would be suitable for ranch work or agility events...I've met so many dogs that accel at both. Of course my decision would only be complete after the dog I had chosen had proved himself as not only a wonderfully tempered companion but as a quality working dog. Of course breeding dogs without papers or uncertain lineage is not something I'd want to do...There are plenty of backyard breeders around. I have bred horses before and I kind of take the same perspective on breeding dogs as I do with horses...If an individual is superior based on performance and conformation they should be chosen to reproduce but if not they are better spayed or neutered (or in horses cases gelded lol).

I love my pup regardless of where he came from or anything like that...I've had plenty of mixed breed dogs that have sometimes been much better than purebreds that I paid three times the amount for LOL

Anyhow...here are some photos of Jack...named after Jack Daniels = ) (if I can figure out how to attack them correctly lol)He's really incredibly smart...I'm amazed at how fast he picked up on everything I've been teaching him...BC's may replace GSD's and Huskies as my favorite breeds lol

Hope you all enjoy the photos...Let me know what you think...I think he's precious but then again I'm biased lol

Thanks guys!

100_1415.jpg100_1415.jpg

Oh wow, what a cutie. It's unfortunate you made some bad decisions and had a bad experience, but it's over and done with. I'm not positive about CKC registration, but I myself would avoid it anyways, it's not necessary in order to do lots of fun things - like herding training, agility, flyball.

He's absolutely gorgeous! Sorry you ended up being bullsh*tted, but I agree with the others: enjoy him for what he is! None of us rescue dog owners know much about our dogs' background, but who cares! (Except I wish I'd known Kessie when she was a pup...so give yours an extra hug ).

I love it and hate it when puppies are posted on these boards. It is very dangerous for me.... EVERYTIME!!! I want another one!!!

He is Oh my God, cute, precious, beautiful and he has stolen my heart through cyber-space!!!

(((((((((((ooooooh BIG HUGGIE))))))))))

Enjoy, your new little friend.

One of my best friends also came from a bad breeder, which I learned after the fact too. But he changed my life in the few short years he shared his time with me, before becoming ill, and waaaay to young crossing the rainbow bridge!

I wouldn't trade those days for anything!!!

Welcome!

PS.... why are all the posts on this page sooooo wide???? :confused: