BC Boards

Have I become a BC snob?

pearls pop

To be honest I've become somewhat of a "BC snob" after owning one for about 7 months. Borders have all of the traits I want and admire in a dog, and then some.

The BC just fits what I want in a dog, better than any other breed. I might wind up with other breeds but I have a feeling that my breed of choice will always be Border Collies. I'm wild about them.

Originally posted by pearls pop:

All my life i've always loved all dogs, most of my life i have owned/been owned by atleast 2 cannine-americans. For years my favorite breed were mutts from the shelter, then i met Pearl.

I've been wanting to get her a BC playmate. My landlords raise and train Golden Retrievers as service dogs to work with autistic children and have a network of people and GR rescues that bring her GR's to rescue/evaluate for service dog work. When a dog does not have the necessary qualities for service work they search the country for a good forever home for the dog. Recently my landlady asked me if i wanted "charlie" , about 6/7 months, sweet, cuddly,smart stray that someone brought her. I was so tempted to say i would take him, but I turned down the offer, saying I would rather have another BC. I don't know if i will ever want anything other than more BC's. Have I become a BC snob or am I just another human who has fallen for the uniqueness of BC's?

Originally posted by pearls pop:

All my life i've always loved all dogs, most of my life i have owned/been owned by atleast 2 cannine-americans. For years my favorite breed were mutts from the shelter, then i met Pearl.

I've been wanting to get her a BC playmate. My landlords raise and train Golden Retrievers as service dogs to work with autistic children and have a network of people and GR rescues that bring her GR's to rescue/evaluate for service dog work. When a dog does not have the necessary qualities for service work they search the country for a good forever home for the dog. Recently my landlady asked me if i wanted "charlie" , about 6/7 months, sweet, cuddly,smart stray that someone brought her. I was so tempted to say i would take him, but I turned down the offer, saying I would rather have another BC. I don't know if i will ever want anything other than more BC's. Have I become a BC snob or am I just another human who has fallen for the uniqueness of BC's?

Sorry,had a tough time finding the reply button! I have 3 bc's,a Pyrennes,and a lab/beagle mix.I love them all dearly,but the bc's,especially Cody Blue,our 2-yr old red and white,are just plain awesome.He's my constant companion and best friend.Shadow is a 9 yr old bc with epilepsy we rescued recently and Gypsy is a 5 yr old smooth coat.Our Pyr,Duke is the sweetest,most gentle boy in the world,but not as biddable or easy to train as the bc's.He keeps intruders off the farm with just a look,if they only knew how loving he is!Cassidy is the lab/beagle and she grew to be a sweet,happy girl from the most ornery,stinky pup you ever saw.We are probably bc snobs now,any new dogs that come here will definately be Border Collies,ther is just no other dog breed like them.

My first guard dog was a Pyr named Duke! He's the reason I never considered any other predator control method - not only his effectiveness against intruders but the way he interacted with the sheep. It was all so amazing and beautiful. Sadly, he had a wandering problem (I had borrowed him and he was intact) and he was shot by a neighbor just a couple months after we got him.

I appreciate different dogs for different reasons. I don't think I'd ever own any of the big retriever breeds but I like Tollers. I like a couple of odd breeds like Spanish Water Dogs and Chinese Cresteds. I'm fond of all the herding breeds (except Bouviers kind of weird me out) and almost all the working types - including Dobes, Berners, and the flock guardians.

The only dogs that I really couldn't live with are the foo-foos - the little dogs whose only point to living is HAIR. I'm not a big petter so if I want something to sit in my lap and pet (if Ben's not available :rolleyes: ), I'll grab a cat.

SoloRiver, adorable Pap.

Papillons, save maybe JRTs, are the only small breed that I would own again. One, because of their intelligence, and two, because they like to do this:

713c7813.jpg

If you could have a dog with the personality of a herding breed, pressed into a poofy little toy sized package, it'd be the papillon.

I agree, completely, with Prosperia! I could only ever have a Border Collie. . or a Boston Terrier - because theyre insanely adorable, sweet, and high energy. I could never, ever love a Lab or a Golden, or a Bulldog, like I love my BC. never. They're just worlds apart. I think almost anyone who has had a BC and has loved them automatically becomes a BC snob, you can *never* go back to normal dogs!

When I'm training my sisters Bulldog (UGHHA) or my friends Lab, I'm thinking "I can't wait to be back with my perfect little Border Collie!!". .

Have you ever seen an Australian Koolie?

I am also a BC snob--but if I couldnt have one- I would have to have a breed that closely resembles one- a Koolie. Recently I was looking at some photos of Agility dogs and came across a dog that looked like a BC with wild dark merle patterns in its coat-- it was labeled as an Australian Koolie-- so I looked it up and its an Australian breed of herding dog-- most of them have short coats but the ones that have longer coats look a lot like border collies-- The history of the breed isn't completely clear to me but I am sure there is a lot of border collie in the breed. So, now I have a second favourite breed of dog next to the border collie-- well maybe a third becuase I also really admire Belgians too.

I don't know. I have a problem with loving most furry things. Don't get me wrong, I think Border Collies are wonderful dogs, and I ADORE mine. But, I have a serious problem with loving most any dog I come across.

Send em all my way. I find different breeds and different dogs to be fascinating and neat. But that's just me. I remember as a kid always wanting to keep the strays that came through the neighborhood. Luckily I have my husband to keep me in check some.

I take that back a little. I don't think I would be very amiable to having an incessantly yappy dog.

Maybe I should get pregnant. Maybe having babies would satisfy that mothering thing. :rolleyes: I'm cut off from having any more dogs, think hubby'd go for a baby?? :eek:

• 1 month later...

Since being introduced to Beck about a year and a half ago, I can say that I am a true BC fan...but every time I go to the dog park, I fall in love with all breeds/shapes/sizes of dogs. I guess after decades of being a cat-owner, my true love of animals in general has surfaced. But, I do think I am a borderline BC snob as I fall in love with each BC with photos posted here, and adore the stories, good and bad, that display the intelligence and quirky characters of BC's.

Ditto for me. Anything with big eyes, brushy tail, and that cute face. . . wait, maybe I am a little bit of a snob. LOL I like many other breeds, but I think I am seriously in LOVE with Mila, and she is all BC upstairs. I have already decided that her successor will be BC, probably a rescue as I do not breed (AT ALL, EVER), and the homes are needed.

Kadie

I'm a BC snob. I would prefer a larger, more substantial dog than a BC, and I think there are better looking breeds out there. What I love about Border Collies so much though is their brain. No breed of dog can think like a Border Collie and so in my opinion, no other breed can compare to a Border Collie.

I love all dogs so grooming is great for me. I get to visit with them and then send them home.

I really should only ever live with BCs, I expect too much from my dogs and my sheltie (mentally handicapped compared to my BCs) doesn't get a fair shake around here. I love the fuzzhead but my BCs are no constant source of frustration. Phoenix and Indy just do things that bug me and the two BCs don't.

I'm a SNOB, can't help it.

My research taught me more than I could ever have learned about Border collies, and I learned that they truly are a breed apart. These are not just dogs. They surpass the mental profile of any other dog breed. :rolleyes:

I'm a glutton for punishment so my next BC (in many years to come) will be a BC. I'll think about another when Kes matures and settles...Lets see she is 13 weeks old now...so I estimate that will be in another 10 years time? :D:D

lol colliekat i think that is what we all say when we very first get out first bc that it will be many years later before we get another yet i have found myself now a year later really wanting another, though i am going to wait till next year no matter what yet it is a big toss up between a toller or bc