BC Boards

Shedding

My 10month old medium rough coat BC is shedding...BAD! I think they shed about 2x a year but in the middle of July? Just seems strange. Do you all think that this is normal? I am going to consider shaving the stinky mutt next summer since he has an aversion to vacuum cleaners. :rolleyes:

LOL shaving doesnt help. Riven is a rough coat BC as well. We thought we'd be clever and shave her.. she still sheds just as much, just shorter hair lol. I have to vaccum every day... and even every day vacuuming doesnt get it all - we have a fan going and it blows dog hair everywhere :rolleyes: We have hard wood floors so every little black hair is visible. I never thought a dog could shed so much constantly, she should be bald. So take heart, Im in that same situation with you.

Gonzo sheds way less after switching to Raw, so a better diet could certaintly improve your pups skin & coat. How often do you brush him? Using an undercoat rake, brush him out daily. ;0) there are lots of options other than shaving... and, clipping down his coat really isn't a solution to shedding. He will just shed tiny hairs that are more difficult to pick up!

A few months ago when I was getting food (Solid Gold) I was in a rush and accidentally got puppy food. I didn't realize it until I opened the bag. I fed it to Sienna anyway, and within a week I noticed almost no shedding. I brush her(med coat) about once every two weeks. When I got her food this last time, I spoke with the clerk at the store and he recommended adding salmon oil to her food. So far so good... it does stink though, keep it off your hands and in an extra fride if you have one.

Genki has started shedding constantly as well. She's always had the most beautiful shiny coat and I feed her Innova along with occasional eggs, vegies, and sardines. I'll try the salmon oil as well. We got one of those "stick" type vaccuums so at least that is more convenient than lugging out the heavy vaccuum cleaner every day.