BC Boards

dog parks

Hi, I'm having a bit of a difficulty with Finn. I live in big city where common space is shared by many people and dogs. In the mornings I take him to the huge city park where I am able to get some lesson time/play time without the interference of other dogs.In the evening I take him to a large park that is lit. My problem is, for example, last night we were ready to leave and Finn completely ignored me, I mean he would have let me walk home without him! Well, I hope not!But he was absolutely unwilling to stop playing with the other dogs to come home.I was not about to call him and have him ignore me, so basically I had to lure him. I was wondering if I should just avoid other dogs for awhile. He's 3 months, 2 weeks old, so I know I need to give him time. He loves other dogs and when he's on leash, I don't let him go up to strange dogs.He's is very good if I have the ball or frisbee, he's already obsessed! And I can usually keep his attention on me around other dogs this way, but most of the other dogs at the park are VERY undisciplined and I find I can't play ball with him around them.Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been doing my lessons in the morning and basically letting him play with the other dogs in the evening. I was just so frustrated last night, because he seemed out of control.It's been a long time since I had a pup. Maybe I'm expecting too much from him at this age.By the way, he has completely quit the poop/crate issue,thank goodness . He was doing this because his mom cleaned her area this way!Thanks!

At 3 1/2 months I do think you are expecting a lot from him.

You have to be more exciting than the dogs at the dog park to get his attention. If you have to lure him with a treat that's fine but when he does come make sure you reward him with not only the treat but a party as well.

Give him time he's still just a pup. Enjoy his youth they grow old way too fast.

I was told by my vet that Cody was really not to be around unknown dogs until he had all his shots/vacinnations which I believe was at 5 months. So up to then, I kept him pretty much away from other dogs except if we knew the dog/owner. At six months old, he was allowed to go to the local dog park where he easily held him own with larger, older dogs.

Perhaps it is too early for Finn to be so socialized with unknown dogs?

It's at 4 months that they get all their vaccinations, includind anti-rabbies. Yes, he's too young for you to be frustrated or exasperated because of his behaviour.

Let him play, then pick him up and go Don't expect a good recall at this early age! Or keep him on a long leash, if you want to control him.

I agree that he's too young to be expecting this behavior. But there are things you can do to sharpen his recall at this age...

Carry his FAVORITE treat with you to the park. When he comes near you, call his name, if he responds and comes to you, hand him a treat and praise him like crazy. Do this at random intervals throughout playtime. Not only will he associate you calling his name with good things happening, but also he'll know that every time you call him he's not leaving the fun.

As far as vaccinations, the vet here just gave him his last shot, and he'll have his rabies booster in two weeks. I was worried about the shots too, but I think they must give a different type?set? of shots here as the vet said he was all clear to socialize with other dogs. I am really happy with him, he is sooooo good most of the time for a 3 1/2 month old.I am very very proud of him. It's mainly the kind of free for all run around at the parks and lots of the owners not seeming to mind that gets me and makes it hard.I do give him tasty tasty treats when he comes to me and nowadays ball is better than treat, so I always have a second one in my pocket- one that sqeaks to get his attention.I also call him to me randomly and put his leash on because I don't want him to think leash means 'leaving the fun'.It's very hard here to find any kind of open space to take him to where there aren't other dogs.It's alot different than raising a pup in Texas!Oh how I miss it! Thanks for the advice ,just wanted to make sure it was me:) that was in the wrong!

We waited till Meg had her final shots before socializing her, then we socialized her heavily at training camps, a really good doggie daycare, and on leash. But I still am not joyous about the prospect of taking her to an off leash dog park and she's nearly 15 months old.

However tempting, it may not be fair to condemn other dogs and their owners in dog parks. Dogs will be dogs to some degree and those folks may be dealing with issues similar to, or more challenging than your own.

My Meg is a cheek biter and nothing will stop her from doing this unless I keep her from playing with other dogs period. There are some things that dogs have to sort out among themselves and I think its very important that they are given a safe opportunity to do that. If you can find a socializing class I'd go. It will give you time to work through these things with her in a somewhat controlled environment. 100% recall is VERY tough for everyone but the perfect few here on the boards who seem to think the rest of us are idiots. At 3 1/2 months old I wouldn't even dream of it in an open off leash situation.

My vet gave me the all clear to take Faith places ten days after her second set of puppy shots (DHLP-P). She won't get her rabies vaccination for another couple of weeks, but rabies in dogs is so rare here I guess he's not worried about it.

Faith's recall is about 30% right now, LOL. But then we haven't been doing much serious work on it, since she's only a little over four months old and she was so sick the first week or so after leaving the shelter. I bought a lightweight cord and a tiny lead clip and I'm going to start letting her drag it around the house this weekend so I can reel her in if she blows me off. And I bought liver treats for when she listens!

About the shots, most vets will tell you that getting them outside and socialized is WAY more important then getting the last set of shots.

It should be with healthy dogs (preferably known dogs) only. But the risks are so low as long as you are careful and not going out to play with rabid raccoons you won't have any problem. Keeping the pup indoors and not going to any parks and iscolated from all other dogs until they have all their shots is not really necessary - but you do still need to be careful of course.

Many more dogs die daily from lack of socialization resulting in fearful and aggressive behaviors with other dogs and people, than they do of disease.

Something to think about.

If you miss that crucial window - from 8-12 weeks - to socialize you will be playing catch up for the rest of your dogs life.

Practice playing "catch me" with your pup in the park. Start really close to him when he is only quietly playing - then put that lucious meaty treat or favorite ball right in front of him and say "COME". Then reward, reward, reward...and let him go with the "free" command immediately. Lather, rinse, repeat - steadily increase the distance, the level of distraction, and the time until free again. Give huge rewards for allowing "gotcha" grabs of his collar (which aslo prevents bites later in response to being "grabbed" by mistake).

practice at home too - don't forget, if he doesn't reponse instantly at home you are up a creek to get it at the park.

And don't make the walk to the car a drugery either. RUN with the pup to the car...be cheerful, sweet-talk him, and then play at the car! Make the pup think "wow, better watch Mom, because going to that car is even more fun that playing here!"

When the pup is older you can consider well timed and appropriate corrections for "disobeying" if needed. They will likely be quite seldom if you do your homework now.

I agree socialization is vital. My bc Jess tolerates about two dogs,making it very stressful to take her places.I'm not sure if anyone has had this experience but Jess was bitten by a dog when she was very young, and I'm convinced that is what caused her to not like other dogs.She is an absolute lush for attention from people, loves children,etc.As far as Finn, it's very hard to avoid dogs in this city where you walk everywhere and I do believe they like dogs here more than anywhere else I've been.

One more question, I asked the vet about heartworm meds. He said they don't really have heartworm problem here but he said when we fly back to Texas we can put a topical solution on for heartworm??? I've never heard of this. Has anyone else?

You have gotten great advise, I totally agree with Lenajo, make coming to you funfunfun, not the end of game. And make leaving funfunfun, because they figure it out to quickly if leaving is dreaded, they can't be caught, and your frustration is hard to hide (learned form experience :rolleyes: )

Have never heard of the topical Heartworm thing, not much help there.

Good luck, and don't forget pictures!