BC Boards

concerned - need help!

Found this thread while doing a search and thought I'd ask if there's been any follow up.

I'm interested because a young border collie I have does something odd. First, I know that she has "bad hips" (dxed via films and manipulation by an orthopedic surgeon) so this could be joint instability.... but...

Here's what happens. After she works, not every time, but now and then, she is fine. Then 2-3 hours later, coming out of a crate, she is "stove up"... sort of lame and walking funny all over. I can't tell where she's lame or even if it's front or rear. Originally I thought it was a shoulder problem which is why she went to the ortho vet. Other than a lack of normal "muscle" in the rear, she has no symptoms from the hips.

Now, this "stove up" stuff doesn't always happen when she comes out of a crate after working but sometimes it does (and sometimes it's the second crate she's been in). What seems consistent is that it takes 2-3 hours to show up.

She does not "walk it off" but between 4-5 hours later, she looks fine if a little "sore/stiff" but you have to really look. I have done everything from giving her nothing to giving her an NSAID and/or Traumheel and I'm not sure what effect any of that has on how she feels.

She is not working long but she is super (make that *super*) intense and it is very hard to "get into the picture" with her because of the intensity so even a few minutes can be very "aerobic and emotionally intense".

This happens in all temperatures and she is hot but doesn't seem overheated.

Any thoughts? I'm still leaning toward the joint issues :rolleyes: but I wonder...

Thanks,

Kathy/Iowa

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you feed your dog? I've see it in working dogs fed pet food.

It could also be plain old overheating, not EIC. A dog is more likely to overheat if it is dehydrated, hungry, fighting an infection, stressed, etc.

muddy bob, odd gait is ususally the first sign of a dog that is overheating or has a low blood sugar level. The question is, why?

ETA - It doesn't have to be hot for a dog to overheat.

Thanks and I agree that overheating of various kinds can occur in lots of kinds of weather but I don't think that's the case here. The dog is fine during and after working; the stiffness (stove upness, humped back, odd gait) occurs several hours after working.... which is what seems strange to me.

As for food ...this is a raw fed dog who also eats premium ($$!)canned food (since she is a picky eater). She also gets a quality multivitamin powder so although it could be something nutritional, that's not real high up on my list, although I have read about Vitamin E and selenium deficiencies in this context.

Low blood sugar is a possibility I guess but I've seen this in a different dog and it's more of a "wobble" type thing. This looks as if she just plain ol' hurts.

Thanks for writing! Good points definitely.

Kathy

Kathy, I had a dog do that once about 1 hr or so after exercise. We did an ACTH stim test and she did not have addisons, but that was what was initially suspected. The signs include odd gait or collapse and abdominal pain (hunched up). The first vet I took her to didn't even think to check her for addisons or to check her cortisol levels. As soon as she was stable enough to move I drove her to a vet school. I think it's missed by a lot of vets. Maybe talk to your vet about that as a possibility? I hate to try to make a diagnosis since I don't have anywhere near the full story, but I think it's a possibility.

Thanks Liz. I'll add that to things to ask the vet about. So far, the list includes:

=thyroid (just in case)

=Addisons

=exertional myositis (exertional rhabdomyolosis or tying up)

=muscle/joint issues

Again, what is strange is that I only see this after working sheep (and this is a super intense, fast, all out, little dog) and it comes on well after the exertion and seems to resolve withing 6-12 hours (so far, I've been giving her an NSAID for pain but next time I won't to see if things resolve about the same).

Thanks!

Kathy