BC Boards

Shoulder or elbow troubles

nancy

Fergie just turned 10. She shows no sighs of insipient hip dysplasia. THe vet is thrilled with her weight and fitness.

But, when she wakes from a nap, especially when she gets down from her chair, her front legs seem to give her some trouble. She'll be either stiff or a tad wobbly. The vet says it's normal for an active dog her age.

She did a sprained or strained elbow in the spring.

We give her glucosamine 2 or 3 times a day. Is there anything else we could or should be doing?

Heck, we had trouble figuring out which lag she'd injured. Guess English majors aren't good at sussing which leg is sore and which is compensating.

She seems to improve with exercise. This afternoon, she insisted on taking her ball on our wald - and running and jumping for it. (She has the best hang-time we've ever seen.) She was acting like a pup the whole way - and when we got back. It seems to occur only when she's been sleeping - or lying in her chair - for a long while. Which is why the vet can't see what we mean. She's perky as can be unless she has a current problem.

I'm upstairs, and the pills are down. But they are what was suggested for me to take at the same intervals when I had a problem. I suspect it's just that she, like me, is a tad stiff now and then.

When looking for lameness in a dog, the first few steps after a dog rises from rest really tell alot. I've seen some dogs you'd never know are lame unless you watch them get up after a nap. When my old girl does it, I know she's overdone it the day before. Just a guess, but maybe cut back on the intensity and duration of Fergie's exercise and see if that helps? You may also want to videotape it for your vet.

Sorry I don't have better answers... I've been seeing the same thing in my 10 y.o. Sierra. With her, I think it's a combination of poor circulation and overdoing it. Her lameness is evident in her bad leg (injured severely twice) after rising from rest.

-Laura

Check out a product called Woebenzyme. Its available from www.mistergreengenes.com. There have been a couple of articles from Whole Dog Journal on it, and it sounds like it might benefit your dog (and maybe you too!). Its the second-most commonly used antiinflammatory/pain med sold in Europe, just behind aspirin.

Dunno if it'll help, but it shouldn't hurt!

Best of luck.

diane

Only have a moment at present - sorry.

I misspelled the product name - leave out the first "e" - its Wobenzyme. Try typing in the web site rather than using it as a link. It is not DMSO, but enzymes.

WDJ cites several "hard to cure/have tried everything" cases where this product helped tremendously. No personal experience with it - yet!

"Helps with osteo-arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, sports injuries, sprains and strains, joint and muscle pain, and sinus infection."

Ingredients

Pancreatin 100 mg

Papain 60 mg

Bromalain 45 mg

Trypsin 24 mg

Rutosid 50 mg

Chymotrypsin 1 mg

Recommended Dosage:

3 twice daily at least forty-five minutes before meals, or as recommended by your health professional."

I've got nothing against DMSO. We got it for our lab/shepherd. But it sure got my husband through 2 years of bike racing - and winning. And it did wonders for my hip.

It's also a great way to murder someone in a mystery novel. But I won't tell you how. I'll write the book someday. And kill off a particular co-worker.

Just as a BTW, if it's a foreleg lameness, the rule of thumb is that the head will drop on the GOOD leg. Think of it as throwing the head up to lighten the load when the sore leg is doing the weight-bearing, and dropping it back onto the sound leg. Remember "down on sound" to remind yourself that the sound leg is the one with the head-dip.

Back legs are harder to figure and I'm not sure I can describe it with any clarity. :rolleyes: