BC Boards

Narrowing down the itching problem

Tiga's_mom

So we've been having an ongoing problem with Tiga. It's been going on pretty much since we got him. He's constanstly scratching in particular spots on his side/belly near his back legs, and pawing at his face. So first we thought it was the food. I did some research and found the stuff he was on was likely not very good for him. Now he's on his fourth food, this time Nurto Chicken, rice and oatmeal for sensitivities. It doesn't seem to be getting better at all. His hair in the areas that are bothering him have less hair then the rest of him. So we had to take him to the vet today anyway, we got the lepto shot for him after much talking with the vet and lots of research. He was also getting over an ear infection that had to be checked and of course wanted to get the itching checked. He's had a skin scrape done and nothing showed up in that. Today she gave him a flea treatment and vanectyl for him to try for a few weeks, so we'll see if this helps.

I'm so frustrated with this. I feel so bad for the little guy and just want it to stop. I'm sorry it's a bit long, and I guess I don't really have a question. Just wanted to share what we've been going through with him. He's so good through it all though. When it was time for his ear drops he would slowly come over to me with his ears back and lie down on me and let me put them in. And he take his allergy medication really easily. I just hope it helps.

You can also try supplementing with Vitamin E, Flax Oil or Salmon Oil, Biotin and Vitamin C - all are important for the skin.

You also might want to consider putting him on the allergy elimination diet where you start out with white rice and a protein source that he has never had. Often people used canned salmon or tuna. You keep them on that for a month, and then start to introduce one thing at a time slowly. You should be able to get the proper proportions from your Vet. I just don't remember them.

Are you familiar with my posts about Boyden and his allergies? I am so glad I had those allergy tests done. An elimination diet would not have helped him. He is doing so, so well now.

Whatever is causing Tiga so much trouble, I hope you get it pinpointed and cleared up soon.

We haven't had any allergy tests done yet. All along we were thinking it was the food. Our vet said for now to keep him on the Nutro for 12 weeks with no treats of any kind. It's hard to not give him anything else, but we're doing well.

I think if it doesn't clear up after all this then we'll go with the allergy test. I did read your posts about Boyden and I'm glad to hear he's doing well. It's a slow process trying to pin down what's going on, the vet says it could be an allergy to fleas even though she didn't see any on him. It's really frustrating waiting and I know we have to wait each treatment out before we move on to the next step, but I'm sure the allergy testing will be the next step. Poor little guy. He's had a blood work up done not too long ago when he was neutered. The problem started before then.

I don't think it could be from chemicals or cleaners or things like that, we only use all natural cleaner in the house and the carpet that we do have is vacumned on a regular basis. As for the supplements, I will certainly look into that once we're done with his current diet restriction.

Thank you all for your questions and suggestions. I'm always reading this board to help. I've leaned a lot. I think it's a really good site, you're all very knowledgable.

Yeah that's something I've been considering as well. I have tons of allergies and I hate to think that he's going to turn out like me. lol. This is a horrible time of year for me. Would those types of allergies (trees and weeds) show up year round? It's pretty cold here and we're just entering spring in the last week or so, and his itching has been ongoing since we got him in September. Also would he be sneezing a lot with those allergies? He doesn't seem to sneeze that much, no more then normal anyway.

I'm pretty new to all of this, so I just don't know the answers to your questions. You probably know alot more than I do.

I think that the tree/weed allergies is more about the pollen than the actual plant. I do know that the sensitivity can manifest itself in many different ways. Maybe sneezing, or watery eyes, coughing, ear infections, licking at paws, dry skin, scratching... There are likely many other ways that I'm not aware of.

Boyden is allergic to house dust also, and that would be a year round thing. If you can afford the allergy testing then it would help. I understand that neither the blood or skin tests are super accurate. If Boy's allergies were not so well under control then I would have had the skin test in addition to the blood test.

I know it's frustrating to see your dog miserable and not know how to help. You certainly have my sympathy. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Flank itching is (I think this is right), airborne allergens. Paw biting and ears are usually food sensitivities. Also biting around the tail and hips, if any, and belly itchies, are more typically food sensitivities.

Flank irritation can also be thyroid problems, or a symptom of tick borne disease, but that's an issue for older dogs (thyroid around six years usually). I'm not sure, but gather this is a pup?

Good luck!

Yes he is around 10 months old. Not exact age as he was a rescue. I know the allergy testing can be pricey and we don't have a lot of extra money, so I'm hoping we can figure it out before it comes down to that. I will get it done if that's what has to be done to figure it out though. Most of the food allergy symptons that you described Rebecca are what he's gong through. But I'm now really sure what Flank itching is.