BC Boards

shake!??

I know this is such a weird question but... I have an almost two year old BC, Grace Kelley (you'd understand the princess name if you met here haha) and she's such a smart little girl but when it comes to the trick "shake" she acts like I am completely stupid or she'll get angry if I pick up her leg and say "shake, grace." is there something I can do to help teach this? I mean I know it's a minor trick but, I'd love to make her do what other dogs can do too haha.

I taught my very smart GSD/Chow mix 'shake' in about 5 mins.

I had her sit, picked up a paw and shaked it while saying 'shake' and giving her a treat with my other hand. Repeat. After a few times of this, I tried it out.

I stuck out my hand and said shake. A second later she picked up the paw. I took it and treated for it saying woohoo and all that fun stuff.

I eventually taught her high five by just putting my hand up high for her and she touched it to my hand. No command used.

I'm sure there's other ways, but this worked for me. Good luck!

Edit: I should add that she just learned it last year at 4 yrs old.

I don't like teaching anything by actually putting the dog in position (just personal preference). IMO, that teaches the dog to depend on you for help rather then to think for themselves.

I teach "shake" by shaping (with a clicker). At first I have the dog in a sit. I click for ANY front paw movement. Little by little I only click for more and more front paw movement - until the dog is actually lifting her paw. Then I add the human part (my hand). And click whenever her lifted paw touches my hand. After a bit the dog usually gets that they have to lift their paw and put it in your hand. Dazzle got this trick in 'bout 5 minutes; Peanut (Shih Tzu) got it this way in about 10 minutes.

I have found, that when things are taught by shaping, the dog tends to "get it" more and be more reliable with the command - also it makes these border collies think more! :rolleyes:

Oh, and if you don't do clicker training, same thing only mark the behavior with a "good!" or "yes!" or something instead. Good luck and Happy Training!

Our younger son Stephen taught Bo to 'shake' by putting a small treat in his hand, closed in a fist. He held his hand under Bo's nose and said "Shake", when Bo put his paw up to Stephen's hand, he opened his hand and Bo got the treat. He did that a few times with a treat, then mixed it up (with and without). Bo seemed to pick it up pretty quickly and now he puts his paw in your open hand when you say 'shake'. Stephen was so proud of Bo (and himself)!! We are finding that whatever method we use, consistency is key. Good Luck!!

I had my dogs sit in front of me, I picked up their paw and said "Shake" and gave them treats. That worked great for Tess. Kipp was totally confused but caught on after awhile. Now they know high five, gimme ten, shake, other paw, etc. My dogs both seem to learn best if I show them what I want by putting them through it with help first, then rewarding them. Then I let them figure it out once they start offering the first step of the behavior.

edited to add: Regarding shaping, both of my dogs find that to be so boring they wander off to do other things. This is with their favorite treats, etc. I think they have the same attitude about clicker training that I do--why wait around for them to guess if I can just show them what I want? So far I have found all behaviors my dogs have learned my way have been very reliable. Clickers are not the only way to train.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

I tried many unsuccessful ways, too. My mother-in-law can make him do it *every time*

her method, is to:

offer hand, say shake, lift dog's collar. Dog's paw comes off the ground, she takes it and says "good shake!"

He *used* to do it for me, but recently stopped again.