BC Boards

Kennel cough

Oreo's mom

Looks like Oreo caught kennel cough in the dog park in Lincoln, NE last week when we were there.

Friday night he had a hellacious sneezing attack that went on forever and now he has that kind of hairball cough you'd expect in a cat, along with gagging. It comes about usually when he first wakes up, barks or is active at all. Poor boy :rolleyes:

We have an appt with the vet in an hour - sounds like they're going to give him antibiotics. I know it is very contagious, so we have a "contagious" procedure to follow when he gets there.

And I imagine my son's pug will be coming down with the same thing, although she didn't socialize with dogs at the park.

This sounds familiar...Piper had the "hairball" cough last week but it was a dry, non-productive cough (she wasn't coughing up anything) and the Vet said she didn't have kennel cough. Someone on the boards, I think Julie P., suggested it was an allergen.

I've heard that KC is horrible for the dogs. :rolleyes:

Just heard from the husband and the diagnosis is kennel cough, but it's not viral, so it can be treated with antibiotics. Isolation for 10 days.

Plus, if need be, we can give him human cough medicine, the kind that comes in a capsule. His cough doesn't seem that bad, so I'm hoping we don't have to do that.

Apparently any cat or human with a suppressed immune system can catch this from Oreo. Peachy. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, maybe he caught it from my mom, who is terribly sick with a respiratory infection.

Fergie came home from a boarding with kennel cough once. Kennel said there'd probably been a near-bny dog that had been vaccinated on the way in. Evidently, that often leaves the little germs available for a while. Fergie, of course, is always current on the vaccinations because, with aging families and all, we never know when we might have to travel the next morning.

Anyhow, she just coughed politely for a day or two. Our vet said to just keep an eye on her; that it was no big thing. And it seemed to work out that way.

Makes me wonder why I have to vaccinate, tho.

Piper isn't vaccinated against Kennel cough. It is rare here and our vet said he doesn't do it...(he's a character). But I think our other vet does...

Piper had a cough that lasted about 5 days and then disappeared. She'll cough every now and then especially when out on walks right after drinking some water from a stream which makes me think it might be some kind of allergen.

Good to know that you can give dog's cough medicine (capsule form), though.

Shortly after Blaze was vaccinated for Kennel Cough, he had an immune system problem and ended up at a teaching Vet hospital in intensive care for several days. Since then, we don't vaccinate our dogs for kennel cough, but we also don't let them socialize with other dogs either.

Barb Scott