BC Boards

Nausea

sea4th

What is good to give a dog, an old timer, for nausea? Petey, my oldest border collie, vomited this morning.

At 14 1/2, I get paranoid at the slightest change in anything with this old timer.

Actually, I'm REALLY paranoid after losing Lena this week.

Thanks.

Vicki

I wouldn't do anything except offer some very bland food (like boiled rice with pureed boiled chicken or baby food or just a little salt-free broth). Then get to the vet quick if the vomiting continues, or resumes upon switching back to regular food. You're right, things can go downhill very quickly at this age - but most times barfing is just barfing.

I lost my two old timers last year. The first went very suddenly. The only thing I regret with him is that if I had known what was wrong with him earlier, I would have made his passing much easier. With the second, I will always wonder if the chaos surrounding my car wreck and hospitalization hastened his end. But as he had reached 15 and was starting to lose ground before the accident, I can't feel too much guilt.

Good luck,

As far as the food goes, I second what Rebecca said. My vet has suggested white rice cooked with enough extra water so that it sort of dissolves and is like a thick soup. Chicken baby food or unsalted broth is a good addition.

My guys also get a little slippery elm if their tummies are upset.

Is there any chance the Petey is stressed by the loss of Lena? This could be affecting his tummy. I hope he feels better very soon!

Ruth

Also, cool or cold water is less likely to be vomited than warm, and small/frequent feeds may be of use along with the bland diet suggested by others (avoid anything greasy). Some people have decent results with Pepto, but most dogs hate it, and of course you have to beware of the ones with pain killers in them (both because not all painkillers are safe for dogs, and because if there are other meds on board, you can have drug interactions). I probably wouldn't suggest anything beyond the dietary management, myself, until your vet has a chance to have a look - it may be nothing, and if so a little nursing care may be all you need. If it's anything more serious, then finding the underlying cause is the first priority.

I hope it turns out to be nothing and Petey is back on his paws in no time!

Thank you everyone. Pete appears to be doing better. I did put him on a bland diet for now, although he scarfs that up like there was never any nausea. The only residuals after vomiting yesterday morning were what sounded like he was trying to cough up a hairball during the course of the day, but nothing ever came up. Plus 2 of the other dogs puked during the night, so maybe it was just a bug?

I'll be watching Pete like a hawk. I don't think though that it was a matter of missing Lena. He sleeps upstairs, she slept down, although they were buddies.

Vicki---trying really hard not to fall into obsessive-compulsive patterns here.