BC Boards

Tail Injury

sea4th

You can try something that tastes really icky (put it on the hair around the wound, not on the wound itself), like Bitter Apple, Bitter Orange (available at pet and feed stores), Banguard or Variton or Bitter Bitter Lotion (vet products). Or a barrier - like a wrap. They also make a soert of "flat" e-collar - like if your dog was sticking its head out of the center of a big disc. They're more flexible that the regular kind and won't hamstring you when the dog goes racing by your legs, but I'm not sure it would keep the dog off the tail since they might be able to get around it.

I cut the hair off around the wound & put an antibiotic ointment on it & then wrapped a gauze pad on with with first aid tape. She managed to get the first one off. She's pretty much leaving the second one alone. I was home today & was able to watch her. I'm concerned about when I'm at work.

Re: the basket muzzles. I was nipped once by an ovcharka with a basket muzzle on----it would have been an all out bite had it not been for that basket muzzle, but she was still able to make contact. There is enough room for movement in them my pup can still worry her tail.

I'm just looking for something that can be applied, be effective for the better part of the day and where I wouldn't have to be around to monitor.

At this point I'm thinking something nasty tasting to deter her. I'd hate to see her have part of her tail amputated.

Thanks.

Vicki

I can't picture at all how a dog could nip or bite through the kind of basket muzzle I have -- it fits closely and has very small spaces, with a double layer at the end. I've used it for this very purpose, and it worked fine while it was on -- only problem was that I had to watch the dog every second while it was off or all the benefit would be lost. I've never had much luck with the bitter stuff (they don't seem to mind the taste enough) or wrapping (they pull/chew it off). But they're all different, so maybe one of those would work for you.

Eileen,

Maybe there's more than one type of basket muzzle? The one the ovcharka had on was a metal basket that didn't have a mesh covering. I'll see what the vet says and take all the preventatives I can while she's healing.

I really kinda freaked when I realized it was actual bone I was looking at. But Sara's been a good girl & has left the last wrap alone. This a.m., it's still on her tail.

Some people have bar tabs. I have a vet tab which sometimes makes me feel like bellying up to a bar. Sigh.

Eileen & AK, thanks for your help.

Vicki

Yes, I should have been more specific. The type of muzzle I have is hard but somewhat flexible plastic, with two layers of grid in front, one of which is removable. It doesn't seem to be uncomfortable and doesn't impede breathing at all. It looks somewhat like the one at http://www.morrco.com/itbasdogmuzs1.html

But if the wrap is working, so much the better!

You know that bar tab idea I was toying with?

Sara's going in on Monday to have 2-3" of her tail amputated. My vet, who at one time bred whippets said that they are susceptible to a lot of tail injuries, but in all her years with whippets, she'd never seen anything as bad as Sara's tail injury. I feel bad for Sara, not even a year old yet. Wasn't even an honorable injury in the line of work. It was either bitten or caught in a door, is all I can think of.

So my vet tab continues.

How about a pint on one of your bar tabs? I could sure use one about now and I promise when I get my vet bill paid off, I'll spring for a few rounds for the gang here. Just don't hold your breath----it probably won't be for a LONG time.

Vicki

P.S. Eileen, maybe there is more than one kind of basket muzzle. The one that dog had on had no mesh covering over it, just metal bars with wide spaces in between, which is how she was able to nail me.

There are plastic "kennel muzzles" for greyhounds that might do the trick. You can also order a guard for the end of the muzzle (kind of like a grazing guard on a horse muzzle) that will keep the dog from being able to chew things through the gaps in the end of the muzzle.

Kennel muzzle Guards

I am really interested in the answer to that question, about how does having no tail effect a BC. Sophie has a docked tail, its about 2" long. It bothers her sometimes. She jumps and whines trying to reach back and bite it..I feel sorry for her because it seems to hurt...but she seems able to run up and down stairs like a whiz,jump and catch toys,"play" with the cats, herd the next door BC...but what makes me sad is that I can't read her mood by how she holds her tail, though you can watch her stubby, it's not as clear.