BC Boards

Can Dogs Catch Colds?

GregN

Greetings all...

I just have a quick question for our expert panel here... Can dogs catch colds? The reason I ask is that in the past couple days, Iris has been doing alot of sneezing and snuffling. It's allmost as though she's got a stuffed up nose. I was wondering if it might be possible for her to have caught a cold...?

Thanks for any info.

Trailrider is right about both allergies and colds, though bear in mind that some viruses can be airborne (meaning direct contact with infected animals is not always required for transmission), and secondary bacterial infections may 'ride the coattails' of the virus and settle in. Typically an uncomplicated upper respiratory virus will clear on its own in 7 to 10 days with only common-sense care by the owner - back off the athletics for a few days, keep them reasonably warm and so on; if appetite is off (since they may not have a good sense of smell if their noses are stuffy), tempt them a little with slightly warmed food or something with a strong aroma (like the juice from water-packed tuna).

If the illness is progressing, if there are new symptoms popping up, if you see a colored (green or yellow) discharge from eyes or nose, if the dog develops a productive cough (like when a person has a heavy chest cold and is coughing up goo) or if the signs are not abating in 7 to 10 days, see your vet. And as always, I can't see the dog, so use your best judgement, and if in doubt, call the doc.

BTW, since dogs are constantly licking their noses, you may only see the colored discharges by looking at the corner of the nostril, to the side of the nose, not directly in front.

Hope Iris feels better soon!

Thanks for the info. It would not surprise me that she (Iris) has picked up a cold. We got a call last night from the doggy-day care that we sometimes take her to. Thier dog is ill (coughing and such) and she was just checking on us.

So far, Iris' illness has been limited to sneezing. This will be the 4th day that we've noticed it. Her appetite seems to be the same (she's never been one to eat alot, unless her food is in danger of being eaten by another dog) and her activity level is about the same.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't "Kennel Cough" since we had her vaccinated against that. We'll keep our eye on her.

Once again, thanks for the info, folks!!

Tassie,you aren't wrong-dogs can be vaccinated against Kennel Cough and still get it because there is many differant strains of it. As far as colds,typically no a dog doesn't get colds.If the mucuos is yellow or green it isn't your cold but a virus or infection. If your dog has been sneezing it may be allergies but usually allergies cause a watery discharge not mucuosy and there is rubbing of face. A mucuos discharge would cause me to see the vet.

Sue Barta

Bartas Borders & Quarters

www.barasborders.com

Sue's right on on the "kennel cough" thing... that term is used as a catch-all for the many types of coughs that dogs can get when in contact with other dogs - as in a kennel situation, a show, an obedience class, etc. Generally when people mention the "kennel cough vaccine" they are referring to one particular type of kennel cough, a bacterial infection caused by the bacterium Bordatella bronchiseptica. However, there are a great many other infectious causes of "kennel cough", and most of them don't have vaccines.

For the sake of clarity, what most of my clients mean when they talk about the dog having a cold is that the dog has an upper respiratory infection of some type (in humans, this is generally caused by a virus, of which there are a great many). We don't see this nearly as often in dogs - but we do see it. As Sue mentions, usually allergies produce a clear watery discharge of the nose and/or eyes, and itching (at the face and elsewhere) is common. Uncomplicated viral infections of the upper respiratory system may ALSO produce a clear watery discharge, though generally not itching. Most viral infections clear on their own, and at any rate we have a lot fewer anti-viral meds than we do anti-bacterial ones, so we don't have a drug that would help get rid of them anyway. So, with a clear discharge, if the animal is otherwise stable, nursing care is the ticket. But good advice from Sue on seeing the vet if the discharge develops a color, since that usually indicates a bacterial infection has gotten a grip (sometimes the virus sort of opens the door for that, by making the system vulnerable). We DO have a lot of meds for bacterial infections, and unlike most upper respiratory viruses, bacterial infections sometimes will NOT clear without medication (we've had a couple of life-threatening pneumonias develop this way). However, some dogs (maybe a lot of dogs?) will nail these down just fine without our help, so use persistence or progression of signs as your indicator that it's time to get medical help.

I can't say what the incedence of "colds" (ie upper respiratoy viruses) in dogs is in other parts of the country - it's been a while since I practised anywhere but AK - so this is all just a general point of information. Up here, we tend to see them in waves - small surges in incedence - maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and I probably see what my clients would call a "cold" maybe 4 to 8 times with each wave, depending. That isn't very many compared to the number of patients in a year. We may see a bit more up here than elsewhere due to the weather. And of course I have no idea how many dogs have the signs but are not brought in and get better on their own.

Tassie is right that sometimes you have a dog with a weak immunity to some infection; the immunity wouldn't entirely prevent infection, but it would usually produce only a mild illness. A weak immunity could be just to a given germ, or it could be from a weak immune system in general. Many ways this could occur and this is toooo long already :D , so I won't go into it unless you think it's relevant. You're probably all snoozing by now anyway! (Sorry!)

Anyway, so far it sounds like Iris is fighting the good fight - so, good for her and her sturdy BC immune system! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by AK dog doc:

Sue's right on on the "kennel cough" thing... that term is used as a catch-all for the many types of coughs that dogs can get when in contact with other dogs - as in a kennel situation, a show, an obedience class, etc.

That would make since -- we're trying to socialize Iris as much as posible. So she's spent alot of time in the doggy park as well as a day or two a week at our local puppy-day care. We actually got a call from Buddy's owner (Buddy's the dog that runs the day care:) ). Apparently Buddy had developed a cough.

Generally when people mention the "kennel cough vaccine" they are referring to one particular type of kennel cough, a bacterial infection caused by the bacterium Bordatella bronchiseptica. However, there are a great many other infectious causes of "kennel cough", and most of them don't have vaccines.
Well... Kennel Cough is much easier to spell than Bordatella Bronchisptica:) hehehe... but, yeah, that's definately the vaccine we got for her based on the recomendation of her vet.

For the sake of clarity, what most of my clients mean when they talk about the dog having a cold is that the dog has an upper respiratory infection of some type (in humans, this is generally caused by a virus, of which there are a great many). We don't see this nearly as often in dogs - but we do see it. We DO have a lot of meds for bacterial infections, and unlike most upper respiratory viruses, bacterial infections sometimes will NOT clear without medication (we've had a couple of life-threatening pneumonias develop this way). However, some dogs (maybe a lot of dogs?) will nail these down just fine without our help, so use persistence or progression of signs as your indicator that it's time to get medical help.
Well, that does make sense. I do understand the difference between bacteria and viruses, and the only hope for a virus is a vaccination or nurse-type medicine -- let the virus run it's course and the body fight it off. The good news is that there really wasn't any discharge that we noticed (other than the normal eye-boogers that we all get in the morning), and it appears that our baby is winning the battle.

You're probably all snoozing by now anyway! (Sorry!)

I don't know about anybody else but I found all the responses interesting, and read everything:) It's good to have a virtual reassuring hand...

Anyway, so far it sounds like Iris is fighting the good fight - so, good for her and her sturdy BC immune system! :rolleyes:
Yup:) She seems to be doing fine. Her sneezing has greatly reduced -- only a couple of times yesterday... I managed to spend the entire day with her yesterday 'cause I was home with my own cold to fight with:) hehehe...

Once again, thanks to everybody for the info. If she takes a turn back, or we start to develope any colour in the mucus, it's off to the vet we go!!

Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mine started sneezing a couple days ago. I checked her nose and eyes and they seem to be fine. She does rub her nose with her paws so I figured it was allergy. Good appertite too.She also had prevention for kennel cough two weeks ago.

When she had her Rabies shot our vet suggested to give her liquid benedryl for kids if she had allergic reaction to Rabies shot. I didn't think human medicines are good for dogs but he said that's fine as long as the amount is right.

I don't know what she is allergic to...I thought I was the only one in the house who is allergic (allergic to all my cats and dogs...)