BC Boards

What do you think are the best puppy books?

D'Elle

Not so much a "training book" -- more like a dog/human psychology book, with a lot of great insights -- is "Bones Would Rain From the Sky".  This teaches you how to forge a relationship with your dog, which is critical, but often forgotten.  The author, Susan Clothier, also has some online resources that I found very helpful.

Also, the Monks of New Skete "The Art of Raising a Puppy".  This one is controversial because it's on the more forceful side of things (for example, it says you should hit your dog under its chin if it really needs a correction), but I think if you ignore the ham-handed stuff, it has a ton of great things to say.

Thanks for the reply. I love "Bones Would Rain From The Sky", and give a copy to everyone I know with a dog who doesn't have one. Suzanne Clothier is my dog guru.

As for the Monks Of New Skete, I am not a fan myself. I got as far as "How hard should you hit the dog?" when I tried to read it about 20 years ago, and stopped right there. They mean well, but are  very outdated to say the least. 

15 minutes ago, D'Elle said:

Thanks for the reply. I love "Bones Would Rain From The Sky", and give a copy to everyone I know with a dog who doesn't have one. Suzanne Clothier is my dog guru.

As for the Monks Of New Skete, I am not a fan myself. I got as far as "How hard should you hit the dog?" when I tried to read it about 20 years ago, and stopped right there. They mean well, but are  very outdated to say the least. 

I totally get it with the Monks.  That book really helped me raise my first dog, but I shyed far away from the aggressive parts.  If you like Suzanne, have you gone to her website?  She has a bunch of little tutorials you can buy and download (like Puppy Poker).  

Not a book, but I highly recommend going through Overall's Relaxation Protocol with every puppy.

Thanks for the suggestion about the relaxation protocol. I wouldn't have thought of that. I have gone to Suzanne's website, but have never paid for a webinar yet. I did go to an in-person weekend seminar with her once years ago. It was absolutely wonderful, and I am so glad I got the chance to see her teach and work with the dogs in person. Of course, I learned a lot.