BC Boards

Back legs are tired.

Irish Collie

I rescued Jess over 5 years ago and is probably about  9 years old now. She did agility for a couple of years till Covid struck the UK. She has started to struggle to get up stairs or get off of the floor sometimes. She has been on Desmopressin Acetate for a couple of years which has worked well on her excessive drinking problem. Her problem appears to be the back legs only at this stage. She walks fine and can jog with me for a few hundred yards. Is there any supplements I can give her or other suggestions to prolong her life. Thank you.

Agree with above and would like to add that omega 3 supplements and CBD oil can be very helpful in reducing inflammation. Glycoflex is another good supplement.

You're probably already aware of this -  making sure she's not carrying any extra weight is also important. It'll probably be helpful to reduce carbs in her diet as well. Carbs convert to sugar that increases inflammation. A raw diet that doesn't include grains, legumes or potatoes (all high in carbs) would probably be helpful but if you can't or aren't willing to go completely raw switching out even 20% of kibble for fresh meat and low starch veggies can benefit. More than 20% you'd have to make sure it's balanced to provide a complete nutrient profile. ETA that contrary to misconceptions it's perfectly fine to feed raw and fresh food together.

Wishing you and Jess the best.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, gcv-border said:

Agree with Journey regarding vet visit and the suggested supplement. There are also omega 3 supplements and supplements for muscle enhancement. Myos (a muscle ‘builder’) worked well for my senior dog, but not sure if it is available in the UK.

I think I’m going to look into Myos for Jan. She is 13 1/2 now and seemed to have a bit of trouble getting up into my car the other day. She still does zoomies in the yard, but I’ve also noticed a bit of trembling in her back legs that I had never seen before. Of course I’ll clear it with my vet before starting her on the supplement. Thanks for the mention of it.

18 hours ago, terrecar said:

I think I’m going to look into Myos for Jan. She is 13 1/2 now and seemed to have a bit of trouble getting up into my car the other day. She still does zoomies in the yard, but I’ve also noticed a bit of trembling in her back legs that I had never seen before. Of course I’ll clear it with my vet before starting her on the supplement. Thanks for the mention of it.

terrecar,

Myos is one of those supplements, IMHO, that should cause no harm and it may benefit. I hope it will benefit Jan.

As a bit of background, I started Myos for my dog when he was about 10. Not because he was having any problems that I could see, but because of his age and I knew he had been hard on his body throughout the years. I was an early adopter because this was back in 2015 or 2016. After a few years and the addition of other supplements and chiropractic care as he slowed down, I stopped giving Myos because I thought I had 'everything' covered with his multiple supplements, etc. But after 4-5 months, he was really struggling, and after thinking about it, I realized that Myos was worth a try again. Before, I was just giving it to him prophylactically and had not noticed any change (but then again, he was  not showing any visible symptoms) so I had stopped because I wasn't sure it was having any effect. Imagine my surprise when, after about a 7-10 days of starting Myos again, I could see a bit of improvement. And he improved some more, but at his age at that time (13.5 years), he was never going to act young again considering his other ailments.

I know that this is a sample size of one, but I honestly believe that it helped him.