BC Boards

O/T American Eskimo Dogs

Sorry for posting off topic, but I have a friend who is wanting to adopt a 2 yr. old male American Eskimo dog from the local humane society. He looks like a beautiful dog, was surrendered apparently because the owners moved into a new house and the landlord would not allow pets. (Kind of a cop-out excuse, but that was what is listed.)

My question is: Has anyone here had any experience with this breed? Having always had large breed dogs in the past, I don't know anything about them.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Edited to add: My friend has almost no experience with dogs of any type except dog-sitting her daughter's cocker spaniel once in a while.

I'm not an expert on the breed by any measure but I've known a couple from my club and classes. I see them as sort of white shelties with a bit more attitude. They're a spitz breed. They are clever, agile and tend to be barky. I've only known a few but they didn't have the confidence problems that you often see in shelties. A couple have been stand-offish or even a bit snarky with people or dogs but neither were nasty, out of control. Just not real friendly. I'm sure it varies from dog to dog.

This might be a good time for your friend to do a bunch of research on the web to see what she can learn about them. Any rescue organization is a good place to start. My general impression of Eskies is they're fun little dogs.

I had a foster last year that was an Eskie mix (I think). He was a nice dog, though with a bit of attitude ("'Come?' You and what army?").

My cousin had a wonderful Eskimo dog: specifically, a Nome dog. I don't get the spitz connection: Gal was ~150-200 lbs, gave our kids rides on her back - we took a photo of Chuck with oour las/shepherd Vamp nest to Dave and Gal. Looked like Dave & Gal were at my side of the driveway and Chuck & Vamp were out by the road (yes, we refered to them as my cousin Dave and his blue dog Gal).

Gal was fantastic with dogs, children, cats.... Their neighbor's cat used Gal as a kitten sitter. But, when they were back in Alaska - on the outskirts of Fairbanks, Gal went out and got her own food. So she was not welcome in houses where rabbits or guinea pig - or domestic fowl were readily available. That she considered a buffet.

Dave said the Husky was the sports car; the malamute was the family sedan, and the Eskimo dog was the semi.

fyi Eskimo dogs and American Eskimos are incredibly separate breeds. The Amer. Eskimo is about 25 or 30lbs if I remember correctly.

One of my agility instructors ran several eskies - they were nice little dogs, tho they do have attitude as mentioned above and the coat requires a lot more care than many dogs.