BC Boards

hay fever in a dog!

kaos

Hi all

My little sweetie is well into her annual august itch and we want to make her more comfy. After trying to have us give her many supplements and oils etc (can't do most as I am anaphylactic to all fish and seafood and they all contain fish oil) our vet has told us to give her 50mg of benadryl twice a day.

Is any one else treating their pets for seasonal allergies? if so are they on a similar dosage? she is 43Lbs and just a scrap of a girl all ribs, legs and smiles. does any one know of any possible side effects? other than doppiness and dehydration?

thanks for any and all replies

sara

2 of my dogs have allergies but I only gives meds to the one who gets really bad, rarely to the other. I give vet prescribed hydroxyzine (I have 25 mg and 50 mg) The dosage depends on how bad my dog is...

If the attack is really bad, I can give something called temeril (?) which has some steroids in it. This can cause excessive drinking and having to pee way too much...

My dog is 40lbs...the other one that gets the meds at times is 36 lbs....so yes the dosage sounds correct

thanks every one, is the 50 mg the adult doses or the childs doses that you buy and is there such a thing as childrens benadryl? going out to the pharmacy soon to dope up the poor itchy girl...

does any one elses dog seem to becom fixated on the itching and unable to stop? she seems to become neurotic about and keeps going and going even in the past when we got her cortisone shots etc etc?

sara

We give 50mg twice a day of the dye free adult formula. We just roll it in a bit of cheese and down the hatch! Takes a couple of doses then they are so much more comfortable once it kicks in. Doesn't make mine drowsy at all.

When they first get really itchy Tea Tree Oil shampoo works good too. But don't bath too much or their skin gets dried out.

Rob is a chewer and sometimes manages to chew a hole at the base of his tail. At night it's like trying to sleep on a vibrating bed. :eek:

Spike has very runny (and sometimes red) eyes which my vet tells me is down to seasonal allergies, and he's just developed a dry, flaky pink patch on one elbow which sounds like it might be more of the same - we are waiting on the skin scrape results just now, to rule out mites/fungi etc. Thankfully he doesn't seem to be itchy. So I'm glad to know about the fish oils and the tea tree - thanks all.

Liz (the only allergy-free person in the family) & Spike