BC Boards

Walking to heel troubles, please help!

Hi everyone,

I have a 16 month old Male Border called Rupert, who is on the whole an amazingly well behaved and obedient little guy. His only flaw - walking to heel whilst on the lead!

He knows the heel position and will walk to heel around the house and even outside on the fields while off the lead really well. However, as soon as you put the lead on and try walk around town he just will not do it! As I say he is fully aware of what he should be doing, because a walk on the lead will tend to go along the lines of; he quickly darts ahead by a metre, feels the lead go tight, darts back to the heel position, but then immediately dashes off again, repeat x1000. I have tried standing still and not progressing on the walk til he is at heel, but this doesnt work as he will again come back to my side but then immediately try dash off when i start to walk again. I have tried taking tasty treats like chicken and cheese on walks and rewarding when he walks to heel, holding them on my hip to try keep him there, but the problem is treats really dont interest him that much so his focus doesnt last very long. I have tried being super patient and have tried these techniques literally for months now but he just does not seem to be getting it and really havent seen any improvement.

Has anybody else had a similar problem or have any tips? It would be hugely appreciated as Im not sure what else to do.

Thanks very much,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds to me as if you have gone from training in the house and nearby directly to walking where there are tons of distractions. When training, you need to add distractions very slowly, not all at once. So get someone to walk near you while he is on leash and heeling in the field. Just one person, and work with that. Once he is good with that, add one person more, or maybe a dog with one person, and work with that. Add other distractions slowly and if he starts to bolt as he does in town, dial the distractions back a gain and work more at that level. In the meantime, don't take him to town and expect him to heel there. In fact, don't take him to town at all until you have done more training. Work up to it slowly.

I agree with D’Elle. Lots to see and smell in town, which can make it difficult for your dog to focus. 
I would work on it closer to home.

Sometimes we humans forget that places that are normal to us can be very different for a dog. Especially when the dog hasn’t been there before or doesn’t go there often.

You had a good start then threw him in the deep end..you have to be the best game in town if you want him to pay attention. So, don't try asking for more than one step. Then release him to sniff, visit, look..then ask again, gradually build on this. You may get 1 step for a few days, then maybe a couple of steps over a week or so. You can't ask for more than he is capable of and set him up to fail..I'd simply sit, let him take in everything, ask for one quiet step, then let him go back to looking and taking everything in. Also, I would back up and simply ask him to sit, pay attention to you, reward, then release..so that he understands with all going on around, he can still focus on you..baby steps.

Thats great thanks very much all, apologies I shouldve clarified its not actually a busy town we're going to just the roads around our house. Its nothing busy but youre right definitely more distractions and things to investigate than the house and fields. Will try dialling it back and not expecting so much and let you know how we get on - thank you again!

Glad that you are dialing it back. Sometimes that's a hard thing for us human beings to learn at first. It was for me, but I'm glad I learned. Remember that dogs experience the world differently from the way we do. What doesn't seem busy to us can be super busy for a dog. I walk mine in the desert, which is not at all busy or distracting for me, in fact quite the opposite. But my dogs experience it as a riot of smells that are probably to them about what loud music and traffic is to us.:D. Do keep us updated on the progress.