BC Boards

How obsessed with Border collies are you?

i dont think a day goes by where im not googling border collie reviews and informations or watching youtube videos (i've watched dogs101 border collies more times then i can count), reading footrot flats things or re reading my border collie books!

• 3 weeks later...

And I still check this and other forums I'm a member on a couple of times a day even though barely anyone posts any more on forums! Haha

I genuinely love all pets and especially dogs but Border Collies are very special to me. I've never had a different breed and BC has been my first dog. Many were advising against getting a BC since they are not the easiest breed and definitely not for the first time dog owner but I like a challenge. Everything I have learnt about dogs is through my beautiful boy. I am a very quick learner though and so is he so this has been quite a journey for both of us. Our boy is beautiful, smart, sensitive but also occasionally head-strong, loyal, loving and very very special indeed.  I would never ever even consider a different breed. So overall I guess I am pretty obsessed. 

• 5 months later...

I’m finding the replies to this post interesting. I can’t say I’m obsessed with any one breed, but there are breeds that are more suitable for me. I like GSDs. I like hounds, especially sighthounds and Dachshunds. If Hannah’s mostly Aussie mixture is representative of Aussies in general (factoring in individual differences), I must say I really like Aussies.  I love that I feel safe with Hannah as a wonderful alert dog. I love that she is game for learning new things. I love that she comes to me for attention then says okay, I’m good. I’ll be over here.

If Jan is typical of Border Collies, I have to say I really like Border Collies. I like it that Jan seems to enjoy my company as much as I do hers. I love her take charge attitude on sheep. I really love that it’s a bit cold tonight, and all I had to say was “here Jan”, pat the couch and voila, I have a big, furry heating pad to snuggle up with. 

I love my little Chihuahua too! [ETA: With his little obnoxious self]

Having said all of that…. I guess you can say I’m a bit obsessed with the whole Border Collies working thing. I just find their abilities absolutely fascinating, even now that I’ve been out there working my dog on livestock. I still watch YouTube sheepdog trial and training videos cast to my television. I don’t think the novelty will ever wear off. Working Border Collies will always be amazing to me.

Well, let's see. I'm on my fifth border collie, with two at the moment.   Because of them, I now own:

a full set of agility equipment, a field which is my agility field (not quite competition size), a riding mower for said field, my second RV (license:  K9CONDO; sold the first one with 175,000 miles on it.....nearly all to agility trials),  1 XL variocage (divided) for my "town car" (Honda), 2 RoughTuff kennels for the RV, more dog beds than I can count, innumerable toys, leashes, recipes for homemade treats, water bowls/pails, toys; all available wall space at home covered with dog photos (with due respect for the one non-BC included there) and/or dog awards;  and more friends than I'd ever have had without them all!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I joke around with people that "I drank the kool-aid" and have started to acquire all things Border Collie. I've always had dogs (different breeds and rescues) but having a Border Collie is just different. I currently have a few herding books, Border Collie bookmarks, hat, earrings, and shirts. To be fair a good portion of those things were gifts from people who are aware of my closet obsession :D

• 3 months later...

A day doesn’t go by when I’m not reading or watching stuff on bcs