BC Boards

Border collie with cat

Hey! So I’m considering getting a border collie puppy I just went to see last week. The puppy will be 8 weeks if/when I decide to take him. I currently have a 7 year old cat who is VERY attached to me. Follows me everywhere is very playful; talkative and cuddly. I previously lived in a home with a German shepherd and the cat refused to come downstairs she showed curiosity (sniffing through the door if the dog care up) but she was raised without a dog and never had an true introduction to the shepherd. The shepherd also had never met a cat until I lived there temporarily so she was uncomfortable as well. I know I’d be very dedicated to training this border collie if I get him. I know you never know how they’ll fit until they’re together. My question is if I’m getting this puppy so young and they’re properly introduced could this work out? I would love if they got along my cat hates being left at home and I’d love her to have a companion whenever I have to run out, but I’m not interested in more kitties right now.  Has anyone raised a puppy after first having a cat? Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...

Have you had a border collie before?  From what kind of breeder or situation are you thinking of getting the puppy? Please read the "Read This First", and understand why you should avoid certain types of border collie breeders.

You won't know if it will work out until you try it. But if I were in your situation I probably wouldn't get a border collie puppy, but would instead go to a rescue group and get a dog who has lived already with a cat and is tried and true. A puppy, even the most well-tempered one, will be a trial and tribulation for a seven year old cat who doesn't especially like dogs. I personally wouldn't do that to a cat who was highly bonded to me, as the cat will probably not appreciate it and if that is the case it will change your relationship with the cat significantly, not for the better. 

I've had Border Collies and cats together.  I had a blind cat first.  He was very laid back.  He and the puppy became friends and remained friends all their lives.  After that, I've had three more Border Collies and two more cats.  All were gotten young.  They have had different attachments.  I've never had a timid cat.  I've always picked a self confident kitten.  I never wanted a cat that would be intimidated by the dogs and hide.  So I've always had a cat that intimidated the dogs!!!!   If your cat isn't self confident you would probably be better off with an adult dog that is used to cats and either likes them or totally ignores them.

It is possible to have cats and border collies. My situation has been reversed (had dogs and added cats). I acquired an American Bobtail she was gorgeous. Sweet personality. But I got her as an adult. I had her roughly 8 months and she was never comfortable with the dogs. I ended up rehoming her to a dog free place. The next adult cat I acquired took a bit to get comfortable with the dogs about 7 months. However now, she is 100% comfortable. I have multiple dog free areas for my cats. 
If getting a puppy. Had the puppy already been exposed to living with cats? One of the first rules puppy learn in my house is DONT mess with my cats. Also kennels works wonders if the puppy is getting too much for the cat.