BC Boards

how big is big?

katendarby

I just weighed myself, ugh, then out of curiousity, grabbed both the dogs and weighed them with me. I got Kate at about 50lbs., and Darby at about 70lbs. To me, Kate's tiny, but her brother is a behemouth. He's 22" at the shoulder, but Kate's 21". Darby seems long, from nose to base of tail he's 37" and Kate's 33". She's 29" around the midsection, where Darby is 30". Darby reminds me of a rough coat collie, like Lassie. His sister just looks so little in comparison. Are these average measurements?

LuAnn :eek:

They both sound very big to me. The biggest bitch I have here weighs 45 pounds (and could do with a little slimming down) and the biggest dog weighs 48. I have no idea what their measurements are.

On the other end of the scale, I have a bitch that weighs 30 pounds soaking wet, and a dog that weighs about 35. He's just about 14 months old, so he may still fill out.

Most of the bitches I've known run in the mid to upper 30s, and dogs run in the low to mid 40s.

These are all lean, hard working dogs. Pet dogs tend to be fatter and heavier. Without seeing them it's hard to say, but my initial concern for both your dogs would be that they could be seriously overweight.

Hi, LuAnn.

I thought I had all of the big Border Collies. All 5 of my males weigh 47-48 pounds. They are *not* overweight - just big dogs. I rarely see a Border Collie that's larger, though. I don't know the measurements for any of my guys, so I can't make a comparison there. However, I think you might want to check your scale!

Just out of curiosity, I'm going to check the measurements on Rip and Cap tonight.

Joan Stout

My Carlie is 28 lbs soaking wet. She is a little girl, very petite and feminine.

My boy Griffin is 5 months old and weighs 29 lbs already and is taller than Carlie. He is going to be big (just like his daddy).

However, you can clearly feel both of their ribs and some of their spine and hip bones.

Not too skinny but fit.

Olivia

I can feel ribs in both my dogs (when I press through their fur). Both their mother and father were HUGE! But they were definately fat -the mother was so wide after birthing these pups that her skin was almost split across her rear end. The father was an intimidating, poor tempered beast. I'm lucky both of mine are outgoing and friendly. When wet, they look like skinny dogs - with Darby's neck seeming to stick out a good foot from his shoulders. They are pet dogs, but stay active most of the day chasing soccer balls and each other. So I guess I shouldn't worry? The share a food bowl (if you can believe it), 2 cups of Nutro kibble and one can of wet Pedigree food a day, and they usually leave some behind. Sometimes they eat it later, sometimes not, so I don't think I'm over feeding them. They get a jerky treat in the morning before I go to work, and a pig ear or a couple of MilkBones at night. If they get people food, it's usually gristle or fat off of beef, drippings from bacon or chicken, left over cottage cheese, carrots, grapes or raisins. I discourage my boyfriend from giving them the chips or cookies they drool over when he eats them, but he sneaks some to them when I'm not looking! I'd say they get a taste of people food every couple of days, not in any quantity. Yugi sounds like he's going to be a bruiser, and it sounds like some of you have some pretty big ones too. Thanks!

LuAnn

Well LuAnn, monkey see, monkey do....I had to do the same, hop on the ol' scale (ugh is right!) and see what my Fern weighs in at...well, she ain't no petite female (and winter hasn't been kind to us in the way of getting much exercise). She weighs roughly 55# and is about 22" at the shoulder give or take. My other dog, Moss tips the scales at 62# or so and is probably around 24 or taller (don't have him here to measure). All his male littermates were around that same size, only the female was little.

As far as weight determining whether a dog is a pet or working dog, can we say the same thing about us as handlers though? Cripes...I dare same some of us out there would be mistaken for "pet dogs"!

Seriously, though the range in weight/height shouldn't be a surprise when you consider how diverse the breed is in looks. I don't think we can pigeon-hole any dog into a category based on weight or looks...an ugly skinny dog does not necessarily mean it is a working dog.

Donna May

Here's a pic of my Moss moss02.jpg

Put a split face on your Moss and some more gold around his hips and you'd have my Darby (I still can't figure out how to post pictures yet!). These dogs of mine are strong - I think they should pull sleds, like in SnowDogs (the little border collie in that movie was the spitting image of my Kate). They pull me up hills and down, sleep well at night, play hard, cuddle and warm me at night. So, if they are off the norm, then I guess I shouldn't worry. I work out 6 days a week, and they still wear me out!

My first BC (now an old man) had a huge amount of coat. His ideal weight was 48-50 pounds when he was in his prime. (Non-BC people that know me think I am mean for "starving my dogs"). Anyway, some years ago we went to a clinic with a well-known handler and, man!, you could tell that my dog & I were a couple of weekend herders! Not just that, but when he saw us coming up the field to take our turn, he looked at my dog & seeing the coat, he assumed this was just another over-indulged suburban pet, fat & sloppy on treats, or whatever. I'm sure he rolled his eyes.

At one point during our session, he put his hand on the dog and I'm sure, much to his surprise & in spite of himself, said "That's all coat! He really is thin!" I said "Well, yeh! I keep all my dogs thin!" (Only on the coated ones, you can't always tell!)

Vicki

Turbo weighs 55 pounds and Merlin weighs about 45 pounds. They are both solid, although not as fit as working dogs obviously--I check to make sure I can feel their ribs easily on a regular basis and cut back on their food when I can feel fat.

On a slightly related note--I find that a Chuckit is really useful in making sure that they run hard and fairly long (75-100 yards) when we are out play/working. I tend to look for places where I can throw the ball downhill, so I get longer throws and they have to run back up the hill.

Cheers, MR

Buddy weighs in around 60lbs, and is about 24in. at the shoulder and hips. He's not fat at all. You can feel his ribs and hip bones. I've been trying to put weight in him but it's no use. The vet said he probably won't get fat anytime soon because he runs it all off. The chuck-it really helps. I love it too. You can throw it so long. I can't figure out how to post pictures yet, but when I do I'll put one on of Bud.