BC Boards

Naming Help

Put in an application on a R/W 1 YO Male. After the initial screening call, it looks like I will be approved for him. The application screener for the rescue said barring something entirely unforeseen I would be approved for him. I have met the dog, and he is more or less a blank slate. Gets along well with other dogs, but lacks manners in dealing with people and knows only a couple of basic commands. I first saw him when his foster brought him to see if he had any herding ability, and he was a little over the top, but that can be dealt with. The initial plan is plenty of obedience classes before he is even considered for herding or agility.

Trouble is I am so far unable to come up with a name for him if I get him. His current name given him by his foster is Toby, which is not a bad name, but is far to close to the name of my male I lost a couple of years ago, Cody. I've looked through the name list on the BC Museum, but nothing there seemed to fit. My current dog is named Zipp and I need something short but different from either Cody or Zipp so I don't get confused when giving him commands.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

As I said earlier Zipp and I have both met him on neutral ground. He is fast, but I don't think as fast as Zipp. He has prick ears and very light amber eyes coupled with his dark red coat. His foster mom has had him for about a month, so I am not sure he knows his name or not.

I've considered Cap, Roy, Rope, Finn, and a few others but they don't seem to fit him.

You'll figure out what fits when you really get to know him. You can change his name then.

I had my dog for about 3 weeks before I figured out his name. I didn't like the name he was being called at the rescue and was trying to call him another, a perfectly good Irish name, but it just didn't quite fit for either of us. I finally figured it out and we both liked it. :D

Thanks all for the replies. I believe I will name him "Tye" but would prefer to use the Gaelic spelling. Does anyone know what is the Gaelic spelling for Tye is? I've looked on the Web but come up empty.

A suggestion was made that when I go to register him for Agility and Herding, I should use "Tye One On" as his registered Name.

AFAIK, Tye isn't a name of British origin, although it could be a derivative of Tighe.

Tighe is Irish-Gaelic and a variant of Timothy, which is Greek and means "God's honor."

BTW, google is your friend. ;)

What kind of herding are you planning to do that requires your dog's name to be registered?

Rory is nice, especially when spelled the Irish way: Ruari. I named a foster dog of mine that name, and have always loved it. (Foster dog turned out very well, became a therapy dog and the soul-mate of his adoptive person. I still see him sometimes.)

Dear Ms/Mr Dragoon,

You wrote: "I first saw him when his foster brought him to see if he had any herding ability, and he was a little over the top, but that can be dealt with. The initial plan is plenty of obedience classes before he is even considered for herding or agility."

and later: "AKC agility unfortunately is the only game in town, so I will have to get him a PAL number. AHBA requires some type of registration number to track the dog's performance in trials."

I'm confused. Do you have livestock? You can run an unregistered dog at any traditional sheepdog trial. Novice classes are often offered at USBCHA trials. If you intend to work livestock, why obedience classes?

Donald McCaig

Donald, For Agility Trials the only game in my state is AKC agility, no one does USDAA around here anymore. So to compete I will have to get him a PAL/IDL number. As far as herding trials, ABHA is pretty much the only game around here, which I have been told requires some type of Breed Registry tracking number to enter. USBCHA trials are few and very far between here. I don't travel much anymore due to physical limitations courtesy of the US Army, so traveling 200 miles or more to the closest USBCHA trial is probably not going to happen. Because of the same limitations I do not have livestock, but I do have a location fairly close where I can go to work sheep a couple of times a week.