BC Boards

Important question re leash walking

I finally was able to spend some time working with Boo on his stranger aggression with someone who is reasonably dog savvy. I don't have time to go into much detail here just now, but a difference of opinion came up and I'd like to get some feedback from some of you who are *knowledgeable* about dog behavior issues.

Should a dog always walk on the leash either beside or behind his person? Does a dog walking ahead of his person on lead indicate a dominating behavior?

Thanks.

I'm not sure on a leash specifically, but my dogs always walk ahead of me off leash, both at home and at the dog park paths. They NEVER walk beside me.

My dogs also pull on leash, they haven't been properly trained.

I do know my GSD/Chow is an gentle alpha among dogs but absolutely submissive to every member of our family (kids included) - which leads me to believe it's not a dominance thing to be out in front. I tend to look at it as scouting...

I believe the intention of having your dog right at your leg behind or at is so if you change directions, your dog will see it. If they are out in front, they cannot. I always have to tell my dogs, 'this way' whenever I change directions so they know. They never go too far ahead, and always wait for me if they exceed their limit, but I do have to give verbal directions.

Some people view everything a dog does in terms of dominance. Cesar Milan is one of those and for that reason insists that the dog walk behind him. I find that level of control unnecessary for my dogs. When I go for a walk around the neighborhood it is for the dogs' enjoyment as much as for their exercise. I don't mind my dog walking in front of me as long as he isn't pulling me and will return to my side when I tell him to. I'd rather not have my dog walking behind me.

Hi Nancy - since I walk my 2 dogs together, I actually prefer to have them out in front (though not pulling). When they're in front, I know where they are, and they're less likely to tangle or get under my feet.

That said, like RR, I use verbals - like 'wait' or 'this way'.

If there's a problem of some sort coming up - like people on the sidewalk, then I get them under closer control, and bring them beside me.

If we're going down a slippery slope, then I keep them behind me so I can concentrate on my footing (and so if I fall I don't fall on them!)

IMHO, it's not so much the position of a dog as his attitude, which would signal a problem. Walking out in front, for me, is not an issue, provided that the dog will come to a different position when you ask.

(Of course, there are times - like walking to a flyball class, where my dogs totally lose their manners, and we have to go back to the standing still/backing up remedies for pulling!)

• 2 weeks later...
Should a dog always walk on the leash either beside or behind his person? Does a dog walking ahead of his person on lead indicate a dominating behavior?
I have to differ with the others. A dog walking in front might not be "dominant" but to me it does show a lack of respect on the dogs part and lack of leadership on the handlers part. On lead they best be next to me, not pulling and not dictating which way we go. If I have to tell them which way we are going then they are not paying attention to me and just who is in charge then?? Now, off lead is another story as long as we aren't working, unless I say otherwise, they can go romp and be dogs.

Karen

Just my humble opinion here...

I think the whole dominate/submissive train of thought is overused and too simplistic for the day-to-day dog/human dynamic. Sure, many dogs will take advantage of an owner who is lax or inconsistent with the rules, or who have no rules, but few of these dogs become more than nuisances and many will quickly conform to the rules if their owners consistently require it. EDITED TO ADD: But I think this shows a lack of respect, not dominance.

As the dog walking ahead of his person on lead indicating dominance - I don't think it matters where the dog is in relation to you. What matters is how the dog is walking on leash. If it is pulling for all it is worth, then the dog is showing disregard and maybe disrespect for the person at the other end of the leash (notice I didn't say dominance). Barb?s (Tassie) method of walking her dogs shows cooperation between her and her dogs. She and her dogs are taking a walk together ? her dogs aren?t taking her for a walk. Walking politely on leash is about the dog?s training but it also somewhat about the dog?s respect for his person.

As to Cesar Milan and his methods: From watching his TV show and reading his book, it seems he has dealt with many truly red light dogs and that has greatly influenced his methods. For the people he sees with pet dogs with minor problems, his method of having them walk their dog in a controlled manner by their side is just one way to get their dog to respect the owner (disclaimer here? I?m not saying I agree/disagree with his methods). The Nothing in Life is Free program is another tool that helps in the respect area.

Bottom line is, I guess, is that dominance is a word too easily tossed about and too simplistic. I think mutual respect, fair leadership from the human, and cooperation between us and our dogs is key.