BC Boards

Aging

Fascinating. And, of course, controversial, because if you had something that would delay aging, then the drug companies would not make all those billions on treatment drugs.

Me, I have no desire to live an unusually long life. But I sure would love it if something would extend the life of my dog. I have always thought that 15 years or so was not nearly enough for either the dog or me.

I would love to have my dogs with me longer, but extending life for both humans and pets begs the question of how we deal with ever increasing population issues on the planet. The thought of adding to it, probably exponentially since I'm guessing it could also extend the reproductive lives of the species involved, is mind boggling.

Fascinating. And, of course, controversial, because if you had something that would delay aging, then the drug companies would not make all those billions on treatment drugs.

Me, I have no desire to live an unusually long life. But I sure would love it if something would extend the life of my dog. I have always thought that 15 years or so was not nearly enough for either the dog or me.

12% longer lifespan means 12% more time for an asthmatic to be on asthma drugs, a diabetic to be on insulin etc. And if your company doesn't do it, someone else's does, and they outsell your products, your shareholders aren't going to be happy with you. I can see this being enormously profitable if it works- particularly since it's a drug you must take over a long period of time.

People living longer means a bigger drain on Medicare. More people in nursing homes and assisted living than even now is really going to add up. Once you run out of money the state picks up the tab. Plus trips to the hospital and medications and so on are billed to Medicare.

I have one 91 year old grandpa alive and just lost a 98 year old grandpa in March. Living longer isn't always a good thing even if you are in great health. You outlive your entire family and probably feel like you are just waiting to go. Even a healthy 90-something can't do the things they used to do.

My grandma also lived to 89, all three have said they lived great lives and would be fine going at any time.

Living longer isn't all it's cracked up to be it seems be. Even if you slow aging you still are going to have health problems which of course is great for the pharma companies. They want you alive longer.

Living longer isn't always a good thing even if you are in great health. You outlive your entire family and probably feel like you are just waiting to go.

I've had several people we (my therapy dog Bodhi and I) visit in nursing homes tell me that they don't understand why they're still alive and really don't want to be. These are people who are in relatively good health for their ages (late 90s and beyond) and mentally sharp and some even have family who still visit them. But life in a nursing home has to be painfully dull even so. Of course, it's why we visit.

I've had several people we (my therapy dog Bodhi and I) visit in nursing homes tell me that they don't understand why they're still alive and really don't want to be. These are people who are in relatively good health for their ages (late 90s and beyond) and mentally sharp and some even have family who still visit them. But life in a nursing home has to be painfully dull even so. Of course, it's why we visit.

Yes. My 98 year old grandpa lived alone for several years after my grandma died. Then moved into a wonderful assisted living facility. He was perfectly fine mentally and just a little hip pain, but walking just fine. But when you can't drive, your wife is gone, and you have outlived a child, I can understand the feeling. My other grandpa is similar, outliving two wives and a child, also in an assisted living place. Even with big families and lots of outings, it isn't quite the same. Both complained of being bored.

Though, it is nice to hear them say they have lived great lives, accomplished what they wanted and are ready to go. I only hope I feel the same!