BC Boards

agility organizations?

I want to get into agility with my 2 yr old. I am greeeeeen at all this so bear with me.

Does it matter which organization you take classes and trial with? There aren't many options here, but I found classes really close to home that are with the CKC. My dog is registered with the ABCA. I can also join the CKC. Am I short changing my dog by using the CKC? Does ABCA recognize or sanction other clubs agility trials or is it only stockdog trials? I think there may be AKC about 30-40 min. away but I'd rather be closer to home.

Please excuse my ignorance!!!!!

Thanks for any input

ABCA doesn't "recognize" activities or affiliate with any dog sport organizations- they are strictly a registry organization for working border collies in the US. I don't even know what the CKC (in the US) is - possibly a "puppy mill" kennel club of some sort? At ay rate, USDAA and NADAC are agility organizations - without any breed or Kennel Club affiliation. Their affiliated trainers and or clubs are strictly Agility organizations- they don't even care if your dog is registered anything. But here's a really good site that lists agility orgs -you can do a search for training facilities in your area.

http://www.cleanrun.com/agilityinfo/clubs/

USDAA, NADAC, CPE etc. all have websites with rules, registration info etc. that you can download. Also, CleanRun.com has lots of information listing agility clubs/schools for training, upcoming events and a yahoo group for agility enthusiasts.

We ran into a man who said his BC was much bigger than ours and that his was registered with the CKC (Central Kennel Club?), sounded to me that it was meant for registering puppies that really weren't registerable by ABCA...

Barb S

ALL agility orgs have different rules, equipment specifications, titles, ect. The biggest organizations are

AKC (American Kennel Club - purebreds only),

NADAC (North American Dog Agility Council - open to all dogs),

USDAA (US Dog Agility Association - open to all dogs, I think),

CPE (Canine Performance Events - open to all dogs, I think)

And then Canadian Kennel Club. (open only to purebreds)

If you mean classes like training, as long as you cover ALL of the equipment (not just what that organization uses) then it doesn't matter.

But what do you mean by classes? Classes are not usually a certain organization. Simply a training facility that offers Agility Training.

As for trails being close to you.

Usually, there would be a facility somewhere (around her we have Argus Ranch) that holds agility trails. Lots of different organizations will hold agility trials at that one facility. They just pay the persons who owns it to hold a trail there. They don't usually do just one organization. Argus is about 45 minutes from our house. For an agility trail, that is pretty close.

I am not 100% sure what you are asking but maybe that answered a few questions, or even made sense. :rolleyes:

did a quick search of CKC - I think you must be referring to the Continental Kennel Club. www.continentalkennelclub.com In my quick search, it looks like they do indeed have a "Border Collie Breed Standard" and I loved the part about a PEA test (Photo Enhancement Assessment) to determine if a dog is of "proper breed type". They offer a CHampoinship program, and it looks like they have a "quasi" agility program - with an affiliate club in Louisiana. IMO, I think this is one of those "registries" that I would run, not walk, away from. :eek:

Ok, I am getting a handle on it, I think... training is training. The rules of orgs. (nadac, usdaa) may differ but as long as all the equip. is covered it shouldn't matter. I can get the rules for whatever org. I want to compete in (if we do good enough to "compete").

There is a group that uses the CKC (continental KC) facility for training. They have events there also.

yes you did answer them thanks!

JUst checked out the CKC link. Here's the Border Collie standard:

Height : 17-20 In.

Group: Herding

Weight: 30-48 Lbs.

Coat: Up To 3?, Medium Length, Thick & Straight

Color: Black, Black & White, White, Blue, Chocolate, Red; Some Have Tan Points And/Or White Markings. Merle Sometimes Occurs.

Most of my BCs (all ABCA registered) are either too tall or too lightweight to fit their standard! PLus, one is too tall and has a smooth coat besides!

Barb S

I looked up their agility regulations and it sounded like no other venue I have ever competed in. (I started doing agility in 1988 with my Aussie so I am familiar with the sport.) I'd stay away from them. (The sound like an offshoot of UKC with all the sits etc. in agility, plus their weight pulling events.)

I just read a book review (in CleanRun Magazine) of Competing in Agility by Cindy Buckholdt. This book has a section that compares all of the major agility venues; only drawback that I see, is that rules are constantly changing and I still think the organizations' websites are the place to find the most recent info.

Barb S

This is a quote from the CKC website:

4. The tasks include: 6 obstacles (In any order: 2 bar jumps, 2 tire jumps and 2 broad jumps), 12 sits (one at each side of the jump), and 7 heels (one heel up to each obstacle and one heel off course).

Not remotely in the ballpark of USDAA, NADAC, CPE, UKC or even AKC. The SITS and HEELS are mind boggling.

Barb S

Barb S

The Continental Kennel Club is generally referred to as a puppy mill registry. See, for example, this and this (scroll down). It may sponsor some events, but that would be only so that its breeders could list titles for their dogs. If I were you, I would really try to find some other club or location for training my dog, preferably one that trains for USDAA and/or NADAC agility.

Heels!!?!?! Sits?!!?

That is wacky. is it even called "Agility" in CKC? Wow, I have never even heard of that before!

Yeah, it is better to go with NADAC or USDAA. If you want to compete in AKC, make sure you cover the broad jump (it is a must on all AKC courses) the chute and the pause table. (also required on AKC courses). Those are the major differences, NADAC doesn't allow those obstacles at all.

Have fun and run hard!

There's a bill pending in Congress now, the Pet Animal Welfare Statute (PAWS), which is often referred to as the puppy mill bill. While puppy mills are not controversial -- few people will defend them -- this legislation is. You can read an earlier thread discussing its pros and cons here.