BC Boards

Best training techniques

The best training method is the one that you apply consistently and with skill, that your dog can understand and doesn't damage trust or your relationship or involve fear. No matter what you choose there is no magic bullet, no whispering, just breaking down what you want and giving your dog time to learn.

I tend to use marker training and positive reinforcement but I also know plenty of happy, comfortable dogs who were trained using other methods and learned well. The least well trained dogs I know had handlers who were not consistent and whose dogs could not trust them.

I agree with rushdoggie.

I would put 'find a technique that builds trust and desire to work with you' first on my list. And Consistency is key too when beginning to train new skills.

My brother visited me recently, and he has a very beautiful long-haired Weim. Young, happy, energetic dog with pretty good manners. But my brother can be verbally punishing at times (i.e. raised voice for certain behaviors that I felt the dog would have been better served with distraction or redirection or asking for another behavior rather than the 'NO' when the dog would do a minor infraction). I noticed that many times when the dog was asked to do something, there was that moment's hesitation, or he had to be commanded a second time, before he performed the task.

And for many positive trainers, I have noticed that their dogs often can't wait to perform behaviors, and the dogs WANT to work with their owners.

As you can tell, I prefer positive techniques (reinforced with either food or toys or petting or a verbal marker), but my dogs also know the strength of a strong 'NO' which I try to very sparingly.

I primarily train with food via marker training. I've got some pretty awesome results with it.

Generally I don't try to split hairs over training methods as long as said methods are safe, kind and effective. However I want all parties involved to be enjoying themselves and focusing on building a relationship.

Ok what is everyone's opinion on basic training (sit, come, stay, etc., etc.). What's the best technique? train with food by rewarding with food? Train with positive words only? training collars? I have used them all. Thanks all!!!

As others have said, it's what works best for you AND for your dog, and what you can apply consistently.

Be advised, however, that these boards are distinctly against training collars of any kind. There are much better ways to achieve good results with a breed as smart and willing to please as the border collie.

For my own self, I train my pups to basic commands with a mixture of words, happy verbal encouragement and treats. Again, it's whatever works for the dog. :)

~ Gloria

Be advised, however, that these boards are distinctly against training collars of any kind. There are much better ways to achieve good results with a breed as smart and willing to please as the border collie.

I don't think I'd go that far. Many people on this board are against them (and I agree that they are usually not needed with a Border Collie), but it's not exactly board philosophy and there are some people like myself who have used something like a prong collar in a few situations.

I truly believe that clicker training is the fastest and best method....(or, marker/reward positive reinforcement training, at any rate, since you do not have to use a clicker....I just think a clicker is easiest). But as others have said, what works the best, bottom line, is establishing and maintaining a good, trusting relationship with the dog and being consistent.