BC Boards

teeter board question

I want to make a teeter and have some teeter base ideas, but am confused about what kind of board to use... I have a design plan for make your own agility equipment which specifies a board of at least 2 inches in depth. I haven't been able to find another plan with detailed specifications (- I have searched the Boards and checked the USDAA's site which was recommended to another poster, for example.)I have looked at lots of 'photos of teeters - I have back issues of Clean Run and some agility books - and there seems to be a huge variety ( some boards look hollow, some look solid but are no way near 2 inches thick....). I also checked some suppliers via the net and the same seems to be true there - aluminium based boards seem to be common. When I went to the biggest DIY store around where I live they had a board with a depth of 3.5 cm and it seemed plenty thick enough and very heavy. It was solid wood. It was also a little narrower than the 12 inches recommended on the building plan I have. What I would really like to know is what you all use at home or at your agility clubs. I want to make a teeter that is safe and roughly the size that I would be using in competition, but don't think I can get a two inch board.... Would a one inch board be ok ? I think the wood was probably pine, but forgot to check. ( Dylan weighs 41 pounds if that helps ! ) Thanks in advance !

The dimensions listed for lumber are nominal, not actual... so a 2x12 board doesn't measure exactly 2" x 12", but will measure slightly less. I'd worry a 1" board would warp and not hold weight if it's too long. Personally, I use a 2x10 board, b/c it's lighter and "harder" for the dogs to navigate.

Thanks everyone - I'll definitely get as close as I can to a 2 inch board. The board I saw previously was less than 12 inches and I had the same thoughts as you, rtphokie - that it would be lighter and harder, but wasn't sure if I should go ahead with a narrower board. Now I feel ok about it ! Lenajo, I want Dylan to run from the start and plan to make an adjustable base - the base you mention sounds tempting but may be way out of my price range. I'm going to check some equipment sites again though.

Oh I do not even want to know what you will pay for that amount of wood in Japan! When we lived in Fujinomiya we would go to Jumbo Encho and the wood WAS beautiful but sooo expensive. If you are up closer to Tokyo, you will have to offer up your first born!

Another option is to get 1"-ish boards and screw them together if you put slats on the teeter. I know NADAC does not have slats, not sure about others or how you run it in Japan. You can also screw it in from the bottom. This way, you can get ply-wood which might be a bit cheaper.

Good luck.

Denise

Thanks Denise ! I have ordered a board 2x10x10foot from the local lumber yard and they are delivering it this week. With all the extra wood I ordered to make the base it came to about 34 dollars US. It is quite a lot of money for me, but I can make an adjustable base so we can go slow. And to go to class ( a 4 hour seminar ) is 60 dollars a time which is really steep and so I need to practice at home. There are no slats on the teeters here that I have seen. Forgive my ignorance, but where is Fujinomiya exactly ? And how long were you in Japan ?