BC Boards

Roller blading with your BC?

I did a search and couldn't find anything related to roller blading. We tried this out a couple days ago, my dog loved it because she can run as fast as she wants. Problem is she can run faster than I can rollerblade and pull harder than I can stop (which can get a bit dangerous). Anyone else tried this activity with their dogs?

I used to do this a long time ago with Oreo. One solution to your problem is to use one leash+harness for pulling, and one longer leash+collar (kept slack) for getting them to stop. Or you could just practice commands such as "stop" "slow", etc. I didn't really have that problem with Oreo because she's a bit lazy. :rolleyes: One thing I did teach her though, is to always stop when we reach a crossroads, and wait for my command to continue.

Natalie is right about the two leashes, one harness, one collar. That works well for us and teaching them a slow and a stop. Rob loves roller blading with me and his just beside himself when I get the skates out. Have a blast and be safe.

I have seen the sojurning (spelling) harnesses used too.

I rollerblade with my BC all the time. I've taught her what "slow down" means - to go from a run down to a trotting gait. She also doesn't go full out unless I tell her, or if I try to go fast (she wants to stay ahead). I'm careful about how long and how fast we rollerblade because I don't like running her full out on pavement for long periods of time. If she does, she tends to get blisters on her pads. I make sure to keep her at a trot most of the time with the odd full out run and some stops as well. I use a harness and a flexi leash, or, if I'm in a busy area, a gentle leader and a regular length leash.

hehe, I tried it once and it was a disaster. Probably wasn't helped by the fact that I just can't skate (if Jake happened to be a nice non-puller, I'd probably still go flying down the street because I can't master the stop [same with ice skating]). I prefer the bike, plus it intimidates Jake enough that he doesn't try to bolt in front of me, and he stays at a nice steady jog.

I have done this. I do not recommend doing this unless your dogs have directional commands and will stop when asked.

I didn't run into problems until we started rolling down a long, low hill. Eventually I gained so much momentum that the dogs had a hard time keeping up with me. That was not a good scene.

H did it a couple of times when we first got Jacko but hasn't done it since because of the danger factor. We take him on a lot of bike rides instead. H said he may try the blades again when J is a little older and more reliable with his commands. He's learning the commands from the bike rides, so they will just transfer over. It's a lot easier to teach slow down when I can force him to slow down on my bike!

I blade w/ Maggie. Started w/ her on a head halter and at low speeds to get used to the set up. She now runs in either a 1.5" padded collar or, ideally, her special pulling harness (working on the pulling part lol as she doesn't think she's supposed to).

Before even our first attempt, I knew I could skate decently and that Maggie knew basic obedience commands as well as 'easy' (slow down), 'wait/whoa' (stop), 'behind, around' (behind me and to my other side so we can avoid unruly dogs/kids), and 'leave it' (no chasing or picking up something).

I always wear long pants and wrist guards to protect me in case of a fall and we only skate on smooth bike/pedestrian trails, NEVER roads.