BC Boards

stop jumping method

I don't know if this is an actual method or not, but it seems to be working for Fynne.

She likes to jump all over me and the usual methods of stopping her just weren't working. So, 2 days ago I tried something new.

When she jumps on me or even paws at me with one paw, I will grab both her paws/wrists and just hold her up so she's standing on her back feet. That's fine for the first 5 seconds but then she wants down. I don't let her though. I wait until she's tired of holding herself up and begging me to let her down. This causes no pain and I don't use any type of corrective voice. In fact, I talk rather upbeat to her while I'm doing it.

It's working! She usually jumps or paws at me dozens of times a day. Now she begins to and then quickly changes her mind. Really funny to see the expression on her face when she wants to jump but doesn't!

Hopefully this will be of help to someone with a jumping dog problem.

Miz, I have done this same thing with Mila. She figured it out really fast, too! Now she will jump, and kind of hover. She will be standing, but with her front paws dangling. Looks really funny, but she never jumps up and put her paws on people anymore. LOL

Kadie

I've had trouble teaching Loki not to jump because I can't get family and friends who come over to help. They just encourage him. Thanks for passing this on. I'm going to try it with Loki. He's such a sensitive pup, I bet it will work.

I use reverse psychology. I teach dogs to jump up on me so that they treat it as a trained behaviour, that should only be performed when they are commanded.(very common behavioural problem that owners approach me with). I use an up command or something similar and pat my chest to let them know. If the dog jumps up without being invited then he gets shoved away harshly and he gets no vocal or food praise until he sits with his bum on the ground. Its like any obedience behaviour is the way that I see it. Dogs wont go and do a full round of heelwork without being asked to or an agility course or even toileting, so why should jumping up be any different? The dog should only do it on command.

Miztiki, be real careful with that method. It only takes one time for them to pull the right/wrong way and you twist or even break a foot. It happened with another dog who's person did that. Just fyi.

With Phoenix, I have worked real hard on a GOOD, sit and settle. BC's love to jump to greet so we are not gonna totally stop that.

Now when he is on his way running up to me to greet me with a "slam-dunk"!, I immediately , before he gets to me (in a very loud voice), say, aaaah, aaaah.... SETTLE... SIT!!! He runs up and BAM.. sits right at my feet.. you can see his little body shaking with ....please mommy...pleeeeeease... let me jump up... I reach down, constantly saying seeeetle....eaaaasy, gooood boy in a very calm voice, the nano second he is calm, I step back 1 or 2 steps , extend my arms and say...OK, jump!!! He loves it. He is learning, I am not trying to keep him from ever jumping up to greet me, he just has to be patient and wait until I am prepared for his jump... this has taken time to do, but it is working like a charm now. Even when other people don't do "it", right, if I am close enough to grab his collar, I can get him to seeeeetle now pretty quick, and wait for whomever to "get ready, for a face to face (literally), greeting!!!".

Anyway, thought I would share that with ya'll, it is working pretty good for us.

I tried that with Fynne also CK, but it didn't work. She's a little thick. :rolleyes:

I must tell everyone that the method I described above is working beautifully for Fynne! It's quite funny to watch her begin to jump on me and then quickly change her mind. She looks at me with the most disgusted look on her face! :D

Now she won't even jump on me when I give her the "up" command and get all excited. Eventually I'm sure she'll understand the difference between jumping when asked and when not asked. I hope.

Now she won't even jump on me when I give her the "up" command and get all excited. Eventually I'm sure she'll understand the difference between jumping when asked and when not asked. I hope.

Hmm, why would she "understand" if you haven't taught her? What she understands and what you perceive she understands will most likely be 2 very different things. Have you tried taking it to her level and "teaching" her from there?

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

So did Fynne at first. If you do it in a happy way as opposed to in a corrective way, and follow his movements back, forward, sideways, down, whatever, then that might do it. It might not, but it worked for Fynne. Two days was all it took and she doesn't jump on me anymore (thank God).

But if it hurts when he chews, then you're on your own and have my sympathies!

Oh, just had a thought. If he does it regularly and you can predict when he'll do it, then wear oven mitts? Of course that might make it difficult to hold him safely, so never mind.

I think it's time for me to go to sleep! :rolleyes: I hope something works for you because I know how annoying (and dangerous) it can be.