BC Boards

Tell me about hip x-rays

Maralynn

Following.

Right now, my plan is for PennHip about one month from now. (Kiefer will be about 15 months old.) I know that OFA X-rays are not as reliable until the dog is 2 years. I think both require sedation?

PennHip has a website so you can locate licensed practitioners.

It's been years since I've done this -- pre PennHip -- but I do know that the reason for sedation is that not only is it easier to get the proper positioning, which is crucial -- but the muscles are relaxed and that will reveal any subluxation present that good musculature might otherwise mask.

I had mine done after 2 years of age, OFA, without sedation. Some vets will work with you on sedation, etc. It is easier on the vet if you can teach your dog to let their back legs be manipulated into a frog position -- best done while giving lots of belly rubs.

I like PennHIP because it gives you more accurate results, can be done at a younger age and gives you more information. Some people don't know how to use that extra info wisely so seem uncomfortable with it.

I've had several dogs scored via the hip extended view (aka OFA view) who got passing scores but who were in fact dysplastic (developed hip DJD and had bad PennHIP scores).

PennHip is no more or less accurate than other radiographic methods based upon a published study using visual examination of hips (129 dogs) during necropsy.

Positioning in the radiograph was found to be key is obtaining consensus in reviews of the radiographs. Use a vet that is proficient in your radiographic method of choice.