BC Boards

Stock Canes

I've got a pretty banged up body courtesy of the US Army, retired Infantry/paratrooper. I normally use a metal cane when I walk, but that is not something I should use sorting stock.

I need something to use as a walking stick/ sorting stick. When I was a kid, we ran 200-300 head of cattle and the old stock canes that were used to sort cattle in pens seem to be my best option. I need something lightweight, but will support me if needed and will also do in a pinch to sort stock.

Then I wouldn't be looking at a shepherd's crook if I were you!

Ed and I both have fiberglass stock canes that we got for sorting cattle. I also use mine as a walking stick when out in the fields. They are about five feet long and lightweight, with rubber or golf club type handles. They are very sturdy. I've had my red one for 12 years now and it's as good as new. Ed got me a pink one at a grazing conference so I now have my "workaday" red one and my "dress-up" pink one!

Try a Google search for "fiberglass cattle stick" and you will get a number of choices.

If you are looking for a wooden crook (the kind that looks like a regular cane), you can often find them at Tractor Supply or similar farm/feed stores, or on the internet.

Good luck finding what will suit you best!

I made my own stock stick out of a fiberglass fence post rod and an old lungewhip handle. It works great and I don't feel protective of it like I do my crook, so I don't hesitate to use it for whatever whenever(read rain and mud).

The fiberglass stock sticks are not stout enough for what I need, I have already broken one last time I fell. I have nerve damage in my rt leg and it just gives out at unexpected times. I need something heavy enough to use as a brace when that happens, yet light enough to carry around and sort stock as needed. I have googled fiberglass stock canes and nothing came up but the stock sticks in the first 6-7 pages of results I checked. Tractor Supply is not an option yet, as the only store I know about locally is still being built.

You can order online from Tractor Supply, Lehmans or Nasco but a lot of old fashioned feed stores will have a few stock canes stuck in a corner for sale as well.

Purina used to give them away all the time if you bought a pallet of their feed. ( that was years ago before hardwood prices skyrocketed).

As one old soldier to another, I sympathize. I don't work stock, but I do use a stick for hiking, occasional support, even fending off the occasional brazen dog and coyote. When I was on family property up in the ADKs, I found a suitable sapling and cut it to suit my purpose. Don't recall for sure what I used; ash, I think. I've had that stick now for about 20 years and it is still my favorite. I never did finish carving or finishing it; but it still does the job.

The fiberglass stock sticks are not stout enough for what I need, I have already broken one last time I fell. I have nerve damage in my rt leg and it just gives out at unexpected times. I need something heavy enough to use as a brace when that happens, yet light enough to carry around and sort stock as needed. I have googled fiberglass stock canes and nothing came up but the stock sticks in the first 6-7 pages of results I checked. Tractor Supply is not an option yet, as the only store I know about locally is still being built.

How about this fiberglass crook?

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=216&cat_id=5

They used to carry a similar crook boy Colroy Ritchey, which I love. I've had mine for years and use it for all kinds of work. Have yet to break it, which I can't say for fiberglass stock sticks. :) I don't know if this Premier crook is the similar or not.

They also have a Chestnut crook, though don't know if that would suite you:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=11201&cat_id=5

~ Gloria