BC Boards

Any problems with Sentinel

CSW

At a recent vet appointment, the vet strongly recommended Sentinel as the best product, especially since when I got my pup at 8 weeks she had a stubborn infestation of roundworm. I used the Sentinel and 48 hours later the 11 month border collie pup had severe diarrhea. However, I had also given the pup a half dose of salmon oil for the first time 24 hours prior to the diarrhea. Looking on line it seems either product can cause this problem. I was wondering if anyone else had had a problem with the Sentinel? A search on line looks kind of scary. The pup is digesting chicken and rice (with a bit of pumpkin) okay, and has close, but not yet back to 100 percent normal feces. Her energy level and appetite were not affected.

Never had a problem with Sentinel, but my experience is pretty limited. There are going to be issues with pretty much any medication you'll ever try, but as far as flea/tick/worm/whatever ones go, I think they're all pretty equal (the main ones anyways) other than their effectiveness varying depending on your region. It seems like an easy solution is to try a bit of salmon oil and see if it has an effect. I know it sounds cruel, but you're going to have to find out at some point if it's the sentinel or not and at least you can control the dose of salmon oil.

I have used Sentinel on 5 dogs over the past 8 years, except when I ran out of stock and it was on back order. Have never had an issue. Rotating the dogs on Sentinel and Sentinel Spectrum right now. From what I've read it has lower reaction rates than other meds that are similar. Hope it's not an adverse reactions and symptoms clear up soon.

Yep, I've just recently started using it and haven't had a problem yet. Searching online isn't always the best choice... you can find horror stories about any medication out there. But of course if the pup isn't improving then definitely consult your vet. Could be the salmon oil or the Sentinel (or maybe something you missed or haven't considered, lots of stuff cause diarrhea in dogs).

I've used Sentinel along with Frontline Plus for a few years now and never had a problem. My vet recommended it as well..he said Sentinel or Revolution..another vet had put her on Heartgaurd but he said although it is low dose it isn't studied enough long term in BC's. (Ivermectin)