BC Boards

training techniques for aggession on leash?

I have had my adopted 5 yr. old girl for about a month and plan on putting her into either a distractions class or dominant dog class to help her when walking on a leash. But class reg. is kind of far off, so I was wondering if anyone has some tips I can work with her in the meantime. On leash, she is perfectly fine to people, but lunges, barks whines at other dogs. I haven't let her upclose to the other dogs to see the reaction, but on occassion that someone allows their dog close, she acts pretty aggressive (or maybe protective). She does know a "look" command and at first it seemed to be working, but her excitement level seems to be escalating (maybe because she is becoming more protective?). Just want to help her out - she LOVES going on walks or jogs.

If making class regularly is too far a drive, I'd suggest scheduling an occassional private lesson with the instructor to get specific help for your dog's issues. The instructor should be able to give you a detailed plan of what to work on at home. It's much easier for someone to work with you in person to make sure you're getting the appropriate advice.

In the meantime, Gentle Leaders work REALLY well for redirecting the dog's attention. Ideally though, you would want to teach her to look at you as a default behavior when she sees another dog, INSTEAD of relying on prompting from you.

Good luck,

Laura

p.s...where in NC are you? just curious!

This is my first time on this board.

I have a 7 month old female named Zoe who is having leash aggression also.

We have been through puppy kindergarden and now are in a beginners class.

In kindergarden she played while on the leach fine, but now she snarls at any dog that gets close. The leach aggression is wearing thin for me. She is fine off the leach but wants to show her dominance.

She has learned the command to "leave it" and it works but I want to know if there is anyone who has had this problem and has had success breaking it. What did you do?

She is fine with our two other dogs and has taken over the dominant roll at home. I want to go on with her training but don't want her snarling at the other dogs all the time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Linda

Thanks Laura. I'm in SW Raleigh (near Cary Crossroads). I should have clarified better, by class being far off I meant registration dates - CBCR recommended Teamworks for class- they'll pay. I would LOVE to have private lessons, but not sure we could afford right now. She was seen while in foster mom's care by a behaviorist who says she has impulse control issues. But I can't decide whether it's that she wants to "kill" or "play" with the other dogs in order to pick which class. I've seen people on this board talk about the gentle leaders but have never known about them - I'll try to find one this evening. That would be wonderful to get her to look at me without prompting. She is a great dog overall!

Oh! LOL

I actually live in Cary also and teach at Teamworks (agility & flyball). Small world! :rolleyes: I would suggest you contact the Teamworks office (855-0422) and leave a message for Michele (the director)...she can help you decide which class. BTW, for the cost of class, you could get a few private lessons instead...maybe cbcr would go for that?

-Laura

Nice to know you Laura!! May see you sometime - we have a 6 month pup as well - I'm trying to talk my husband into agility when he's old enough! He could definitely be a flyball contender as well. When the 5 year old chases him at full speed (and I think she is very fast), he's only at a gallop. She is a great playmate for him, but definitely shows him who's dominant! I'll take your advice and call Michelle and see what she thinks. I like the thought of private lessons first because I don't know what to expect in a room full of dogs on leashes with her - she certainly can't keep her cool at Lake Johnson when it's crowded.

I'm Margaret BTW

Hi Margaret,

You're welcome to come over some time and we can let our pups play and I can take a look at your 5 year old. Rave turns 6 months old tomorrow! Do you ever go to Lake Pine? I live over near there.

And then when Becca comes to town to practice with her gawd-awful cheatin flyball team, we can have more dogs...LOL.

Yeah, yeah, we can just write a book called "Woman and the Cheating Teams They Play On". :rolleyes::D

Sounds like fun. But you all have to come west to play with my sheep. But not for a few months. No puppies on Becca's Evil Sheep.

Oh, by the way, I had a truly dog agressive dog and one quick management technique you can start with until you can get professional help - teach a rock-solid down stay and put her there when other dogs come in sight. Then you don't have the confusion in your mind about whether you should correct her and what for and at what point. If she's breaking the down/stay by barking or growling or certainly by getting up - tell her no and repeat the command. Try to catch it at the first sign that she's paying attention to the whatever rather than you. A "watch me" command helps too.

Part of it is about her confusion at this point about who's calling the shots about what's OK. I've noticed a lot of border collie pups seem to go through this at this age.

But I highly recommend Teamworks.

I would love to! Loki turned 6 months on May 1, and he is a sweetheart! I know where Lake Pine Drive is - maybe Lake is off there somewhere? I'd like to see Lake Pine - we go to Lake Johnson and Jordan Lake alot. You may never invite me back if I bring Gael (5 yr. old). :eek:

After being a regular reader on these boards since January, I'd love to meet Becca as well.

Actually, I'd rather meet Gael. Rave would rather meet Loki. So you'd have to bring both. And we could just play in my backyard so we could control the "other" dogs...I have good "test" dogs. And I'm pretty sure I've seen much worse than Gael, so don't worry. :rolleyes:

Go ahead and email me (lslusher@juno.com) and we can set up a convenient time. This week's already shot, and I'm out of town this weekend for a flyball tourney, but next weekend possibly looks good.

I'd also love to hear more background on Gael beforehand, so when you have time, email me that as well.

At this point, using a stay and introducing associated corrections may add too much stress to an already tense situation. First you really need to know why your dog is doing this before trying to correct it. A solution may be as simple as treating/jackpotting her whenever another dog is in sight and progressing from there to a default attention (where the dog offers attention w/o verbal prompting from you, which is ideal so you don't have that "crutch"). This method teaches that seeing other dogs means good things. Or it could be as simple as teaching her self-control when she sees other dogs, which may employ a different method. Point is, diagnose the problem before treating the symptoms... that way you'll be effective and won't potentially aggravate the situation.

Click on the hotlink in my signature for Boyden and read the old diary entries. You can also do a search of threads I've started here on the boards, mostly in February. Boyden does not act like Cujo on leash at all anymore.

I've got to go...

Just a few week I had this same problem with my 7 month old male.

What I did was: keep him away from other dogs on-leash, as I felt he is just going thru a insecure stage where he is trying to test what he can get away with other dogs, and I did not want him to learn to act aggresive. If he growled at another dog(for instance when one unexpectitly came running up) I would correct(just a low tone "what are you doing") him and let him know that I am not pleases with that behavior.

Then he only got to interact with dogs I knew he would not boss aroung and the experience would be positive. THE RESULT: Tonight in advanced class he was an angel, I was so proud, he went from defensive to activly happy when a dog came near.

I think it is just a stage puppies goes thru and you need to help your dog fing their place. Just a side note: if you are in a clicker class or one that uses food as a reward your dog may be acting aggresive towords others on-leash because she is gaurding you and the food.

Jeanine

Thanks Jeanine, I do use treats as a reward, good thought.

She will be with an older dog after this next class to see "if" she will back down. She has not been with an older dog yet so I'm hoping this works.

I have been correcting by telling her to leave it and she does OK but she still snarls. I am going to try the low voice with the question, what are you doing.

I'm willing to try anything rather than having a leach aggressive dog.

She is also coming close to her first season and I was wondering if that has something to do with it.

Thanks for the ideas.

Linda

Yes, only for health reasons. Her breeder wants us to hold off so he can breed her once with his new dog from Scotland.

She has been back to her breeder's for herding and training. She is good and that's why he keeps after us to hold off. He thinks the two of them would make good pups.

I think 7 months is a little too young to tell if a dog would make good pups so it doesn't hurt to wait a little while. By the end of the summer we should know more. I'm not going to let him push us into anything either.

I appreciate your concern and asking why she isn't spayed yet. I would never breed a dog for selfish reasons. I haven't even met "mister wonderful" from Scotland yet. :rolleyes: We do have some time before any decisions have to be made. I only want what is best for my little girl and the breed.

Linda