BC Boards

Remembering Your Dog

I think it's just your pet's ashes if you've opted for individual cremation.

Individual cremation is more expensive than group cremation. AFAIK, with a group cremation it's not even an option to get ashes back.

Just dealt with this yesterday with a dog I board often who died unexpectedly within of hours of arriving at my home yesterday. (A pet sitter's nightmare!) Those were the options I was given for the owner.

Nearby where I live is an actual pet funeral home! I am contemplating using them for cremation when the time comes, no actual funeral! I think I will scatter ashes throughout my gardens. But I really can't say for sure now and I hope it is a long time before I decide.

Not only have I had all of my dogs cremated, but also my two cats. Right now I have 2 cats, and 5 dogs cremains in the file cabinet in our home office. My intention is that I will be cremated when I pass and I'd like for all of our ashes to go somewhere together. Haven't figured out that part yet. My husband can come with us if he likes, but that's his decision.

I'm not that sentimental about the cremains. Every once in a while I stop by and say Hi to them all. I couldn't leave them buried in the yard knowing someday I won't be there anymore.

Years ago I volunteered at our local Humane Society. I'll never forget the day I saw the rendering truck stop for pick up. It made me very sad and that's pretty much when I decided that all of my pets would be cremated.

Gina

Abbey and Trek

We let the vet deal with the body of our first dog - aback in the early 1980s. We buried two cats - the other one took off the day he was scheduled for surgery and never came back. We've buried hamsters and gerbils - and flushed goldfish.

But we have Fergie's ashes in a box on a shelf in a bookcase (the ones we didn't toss in her favorite lake), next to some of my husband's parents - combined in a small box. Most of the in-laws went behind the home they loved best. Most of my parent's ashes are with my brother. He moves them around his house for good views or for comfort in the winter. That's how Dad finally got to see the Red Sox win the World Series.

When my mother was in her late 80s, I took her to Lithuania to meet all her relatives. She had written to them, but had never met them because her mother was the only one to come to the US. First economics, then politics, kept the family separated. Mom had a ball! She was the oldest living member of her generation (and spoke perfect, if dated, Lithuanian) and was The Queen! One evening, she said, "Part of me wishes I could stay here. But I can't leave you and your brother and the grandchildren." She died just over a year later. We had her cremated. And I mailed about half of her ashes (NO, I didn't list them as THAT on the customs form: "family souvenirs") to her cousin in Lithuania. The family had a funeral in their old village and buried her ashes in the cemetery with her grandparents and other relatives. So, part of he now stays in Lithuania.

I think it's just your pet's ashes if you've opted for individual cremation.

Individual cremation is more expensive than group cremation. AFAIK, with a group cremation it's not even an option to get ashes back.

Just dealt with this yesterday with a dog I board often who died unexpectedly within of hours of arriving at my home yesterday. (A pet sitter's nightmare!) Those were the options I was given for the owner.

Yes, individual cremation is an option with one of the local funeral homes here that has decided to tap into the pet market. You get your animal's ashes, a paw print and a lock of their hair.

OH no, not your border boarder?

Previous cats that passed when I was growing up were planted under the peach tree on our property. We've since moved and that lot now has a new house on it, I never checked to see if the peach tree is still there.

As an adult, I've only had to deal with the loss of one pet due to euthanasia. That one was an individual creation. Currently have his ashes on our bookshelf, with a plaster paw print. The plan is to get a new tree and put his ashes in the root hole when we plant the tree. But not at our current house cause this is not our retirement home. Considering my mom's property, but she won't be around forever either and while I would love to move in there when she is gone, my DH is not keen (too far out in the country). So, just waiting to decide, though we will probably go with my mom's property.

I do like the idea of new life coming from his ashes.