BC Boards

Rescue dog saves owner

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to share this sweet little story about a bc who sniffed out cancer in his owner. Pretty remarkable! (Sorry if this is in the wrong section; I wasn't quite sure where to place it).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/telegraphchristmasappeal/11320715/Rescue-dog-saved-owners-life-sniffing-out-aggressive-tumour.html

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Bodhi (also a rescue) knew when I had uterine cancer, too, though I only figured it out in hindsight.

He used to sniff my crotch intently. Understanding that crotch sniffing is perfectly acceptable (and polite) behavior among dogs, I don't get upset when a dog tries to sniff me, and I never discouraged him, though I was aware on some level that it was significantly more intense than dogs usually do it. Most will come up for a quick sniff and move on. He'd really take some deep inhales and then often kinda puff them out as if he was clearing the smell away.

This went on for several months and I just figured it was his normal. Then I had some unexpected spotting (I was post menopausal by then), had a biopsy and was diagnosed with uterine cancer.

I got spayed. Bodhi came with me while I spent a week recuperating with friends. During that time he would sniff, but gradually though the week it became less and less. Then he just stopped. Now he rarely, if ever, sniffs me and when he does it's very brief, like you would normally expect.

I've really wished ever since that I could get him into a cancer detection program, but AFAIK all of them are on the west coast. There was one in Philly, which would still really be too far away to be practical, but I'm not sure it's even operational any more.

Bodhi once smelled at a woman during one of our library visits the way he used to smell at me. And he was persistent. He doesn't normally do that. It was noticeable to several people.

I really struggled for a while with whether or not I should say anything to her. I finally decided to pull her aside and tell her that I didn't want to alarm her, that it may be nothing, but wanted to tell her about my experience.

She seemed to take it well, and said she'd mention it to her doctor. Never ran across her again.

I hope I did the right thing. It was awkward, and I have no idea what was going on but didn't want to take even a small chance that he may have been detecting something again.

Yea, as awkward as the situation is, if it means a life might be saved then I think it's worth it. I'd be so grateful if a stranger did that for me. Too bad there aren't more cancer detection programs on the east coast! One would think they'd be worth looking into.

I have an agility friend who's collie (lassie type) found a tumor on her spine. She had not been feeling well and her dog kept nosing the base of her spine, persistently all day long. There was something in the dogs attitude that made her go to the emergency dept. she had surgery within hours and was told that she was lucky to be alive and would be probably never be able to walk, over a very long recovery and a lot of hard work she is mobile, she might never run, but she no longer needs an electric mobility chair or a walker and through it all she has continued competing and training in agility with her dog, they are a very special team.