BC Boards

Can you change an ABCA Reg. Name?

I recently got a new puppy that was previously owned by another women before she had an accident and was forced to give the dog up. I am going to send the ownership transfer to ABCA soon and I wanted to know if there was any way to change a dogs name in the ABCA? I know you can in the AKC but I am not sure about the ABCA. I want to change his call name and his reg. name; is that possible?

I think only if the dog has no ABCA-registered offspring.

In ABCA, there are only registered names, and you can call your dog anything you want but usually what you call the dog is the same thing (minus any kennel or breeder prefix).

You can change a name. As Sue said, there's only the registered name listed on the registration papers, so if you plan on using a call name, that won't show up anywhere. On the papers I've seen where a dog's name has been changed, the new name appears first with the original name in parentheses after it (I assume to it's to make sure it's clear that the dog's name has been changed).

For example, the sire of one of my dogs was a dog known as Bud. But before Tom owned him, his name was Apache, so on the registration papers, he's listed as Bud (Apache) with the ABCA number following (the ABCA number will not change).

I don't know if Sue's correct about whether the dog has had a litter or not, but I'd think having both names on the papers would solve that concern.

J.

Yes, you can change the name. However it is not polite to change the kennel name to your kennel name....such as
"DeltaBlz Bob" to "TopHill Farm Bob"......unless arranged otherwise. The kennel name shows who was the breeders etc...

And I have had people change the entire name to their kennel name (without permission) and TAKE credit for the breeding, etc.....

but "DeltaBlz Bob" to Deltablz Bill" is fine. I have had this done (people want to change the name of the dog, not the kennel name)....

I think it would show as "DeltaBlz Bill (DeltaBlz Bob)".....on the new papers

but I think if the dog has been bred, the name cannot be changed.

But a lot of people keep the old name, DeltaBlz Bob but the call name is Bill.

There is (still I think) a 14 character name limit on the name. And the number will stay the same.

and of course, some people have kennels names as "Highland Farms Doll of Sweethaven Farms Sally"...(AKC style)....no one that I know with ABCA dogs does that....

I think it smacks a little of "deceptive advertising" to change the kennel name from that of the breeder but there are a few people who do that regularly. Another good reason to do your homework when buying.

I think only if the dog has no ABCA-registered offspring.

In ABCA, there are only registered names, and you can call your dog anything you want but usually what you call the dog is the same thing (minus any kennel or breeder prefix).

You can change a name. As Sue said, there's only the registered name listed on the registration papers, so if you plan on using a call name, that won't show up anywhere. On the papers I've seen where a dog's name has been changed, the new name appears first with the original name in parentheses after it (I assume to it's to make sure it's clear that the dog's name has been changed).

For example, the sire of one of my dogs was a dog known as Bud. But before Tom owned him, his name was Apache, so on the registration papers, he's listed as Bud (Apache) with the ABCA number following (the ABCA number will not change).

I don't know if Sue's correct about whether the dog has had a litter or not, but I'd think having both names on the papers would solve that concern.

J.

Yes, you can change the name. However it is not polite to change the kennel name to your kennel name....such as

"DeltaBlz Bob" to "TopHill Farm Bob"......unless arranged otherwise. The kennel name shows who was the breeders etc...

And I have had people change the entire name to their kennel name (without permission) and TAKE credit for the breeding, etc.....

but "DeltaBlz Bob" to Deltablz Bill" is fine. I have had this done (people want to change the name of the dog, not the kennel name)....

I think it would show as "DeltaBlz Bill (DeltaBlz Bob)".....on the new papers

but I think if the dog has been bred, the name cannot be changed.

But a lot of people keep the old name, DeltaBlz Bob but the call name is Bill.

There is (still I think) a 14 character name limit on the name. And the number will stay the same.

and of course, some people have kennels names as "Highland Farms Doll of Sweethaven Farms Sally"...(AKC style)....no one that I know with ABCA dogs does that....

I think it smacks a little of "deceptive advertising" to change the kennel name from that of the breeder but there are a few people who do that regularly. Another good reason to do your homework when buying.

Thanks! I tried looking on the ABCA website but I could not find any answers. I do not plan on changing the kennel name, just his call name.

• 2 weeks later...

I had someone take off another prefix and put mine on. I was not impressed and when I asked ABCA about it they said nothing could be done about it as kennel prefixes are not legal in ABCA. I have a dog that I want to change her name to Star as we have a Dot, but I will leave the kennel prefix there as it is, I was told the name with a name in parenthesis is when they already have had litters and could not be changed,

Wait a minute....they removed one and then added your prefix w/o your knowing? How did you discover this? I suppose I can understand multiple people using the same prefix if its 2 letters/numbers, but still that's wrong both ways on the party that did it. Did you contact owner to ask why?

Yes they removed the breeders prefix and put mine on. I found out when someone else brought it to my attention as it was posted on FB, the registration that is. I have never said anything mainly because I was so shocked and honestly did not know what to say, Now enough time has passed that I do not know how to bring it up.