BC Boards

I want to give a shout out to my rescue Agility dog!!

Before all you hear from me for a good long time is "puppy, puppy, puppy", I want to give a shout out to Tessa!

We went to an Agility trial this past weekend and she reached a milestone that meant quite a lot to me. She earned her first Level 5 Colors Q. It was her first venture into Level 5. Also, that is as far as Maddie and I got. She had one Level 5 Q, and it was also in Colors.

Tessa is just lovely to run. When we run Agility together, it almost feels like Freestyle! She is beautiful, lively, and brimming with fun! And her balance of obstacle focus and handler focus is perfection as far as I'm concerned.

Here is her Level 5 Colors run. That opening was actually not as easy as Little Miss Girl makes it look!

I don't think I will ever have a more perfect Agility partner than this girl!!

I will be honored to earn a C-ATCH title with Tessa. We have a ways to go (still have to finish Level 3 in two categories and are in 4 in all but Colors), but I know the ride is going to be a delight.

Nice run. I don't think either of my dogs would have read the blind cross to a serp in the beginning as well as Tessa did.

Yeah, I really didn't mean to do that. I had a front planned there, but I didn't get there in time to do it. Luckily she does read a blind into a serpentine, so I knew it would be fine.

Very nice and smooth run.

I love blind crosses. I always had trouble with the front cross - the footwork always seems clumsy to me. My first agility instructor preached against the blind cross. After a while, I decided to try the blind anyway. After I learned the blind, the front cross seemed to come easier. Go figure.

colors, for a short course/game that it is, always gives my dog fits. great run. can't wait to see you out there again!

Very nice and smooth run.

I love blind crosses. I always had trouble with the front cross - the footwork always seems clumsy to me. My first agility instructor preached against the blind cross. After a while, I decided to try the blind anyway. After I learned the blind, the front cross seemed to come easier. Go figure.

I feel like I'm another one who found front crosses easier once blinds started getting introduced into the mix. I used to be a total front cross phobic.

Nice run Root Beer! She seems steady and happy.

This is sorta off topic but after watching your run with Tessa (fantastic work, btw!!!) YouTube popped up a few of your other videos. I watched your Cynosport Level 1 run with Dean Dog and I had a big stupid grin on my face the whole time. I lovelovelove the way you talk to your dogs when you are working together!

Anyways, Tessa looks fantastic but I also wanted to compliment YOU on your handling skills in general. That little puppy coming your way is one lucky guy! ^_^

Thank you!! I appreciate your saying that because I've been working really hard on my handling. Trying to be smoother, more precise, and supportive without over handling.

So, thank you!! :)

Although I am determined to be extremely patient and not rush him, I am eagerly awaiting the day when the new guy and I step into the competition ring together. :)

Trying to be smoother, more precise, and supportive without over handling.

What really jumped out at me from that particular video with Dean was the supportive part. I'm certainly no expert so I have no idea what counts as "over handling", especially in the agility ring. I just really enjoyed how you casually, yet very encouragingly, talked him through it. It was cool!

colors is a game where there are 2 short standard courses on the field. you, and your dog must choose one of the courses and complete it correctly, without off coursing onto the 2nd course. you can choose either one, whichever suits your dogs strengths, but you must stay on it. generally the judge designs the courses to intersect or cross just to give you the opportunity to screw up ! LOL

it is called colors because one course will be marked with red (or whatever color) cones and the other with blue (or whatever color) cones.

colors is a game where there are 2 short standard courses on the field. you, and your dog must choose one of the courses and complete it correctly, without off coursing onto the 2nd course. you can choose either one, whichever suits your dogs strengths, but you must stay on it. generally the judge designs the courses to intersect or cross just to give you the opportunity to screw up ! LOL

it is called colors because one course will be marked with red (or whatever color) cones and the other with blue (or whatever color) cones.

It's required for the courses to intersect at least 2 times. The courses are pretty similar in length and technical difficulty to pairs relay in USDAA.

What really jumped out at me from that particular video with Dean was the supportive part. I'm certainly no expert so I have no idea what counts as "over handling", especially in the agility ring. I just really enjoyed how you casually, yet very encouragingly, talked him through it. It was cool!

Over handling would be giving the dog help that he or she doesn't need.

For example, on the Standard course, there was a tunnel in the corner and then weave poles and the weave poles were very close to the wall. I was tempted to "play it safe" and cross to the "on" side of the weave poles to really make sure Tessa got them. That would have been over handling because she doesn't need it. Not only did she do them from the off side, but she entered with me still at a bit of a distance. She still needs me to stay kind of close and move in a straight line as she weaves, but she does not need to be guided to the entry.

I tend to do that kind of thing. Bending down a little as they move to the contact zone is another over handling habit that I'm trying to break in myself. Tessa will get into the yellow and then some. She doesn't need that kind of help.