BC Boards

Itchy from shedding.

We do brush him daily, he suffered from dandruff as a pup but it cleared up pretty quickly which aloe Vera dog wash which we still use but he is scratching badly again, I can't find dandruff or any reaction on the skin, would Benadryl still be the thing to use? He is shedding because it's autumn, not from any kind of reaction.

I think it's more likely to be environmental allergies than the shedding. He's shedding because it's warmer and the days are longer. The mold/pollen spores are busting out all over for the same reason.

You can google 'benedryl dosage dogs' and get the exact recommendation. I used it for Shoshone, but it's been a few years, I think the dosage is 1mg/pound, at least 3 times a day, maybe 4. It might make him sleepy, but he should adjust within a few days.

Might be worth it to take him to a doggie dermatologist. The one I took Shonie to was a big help.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Thanks, Julie, I knew that but had forgotten. My brain is very sieve-like at times.

Cedzz, as Julie pointed out fall is pollen, etc. time too. Have you changed the household cleaners, laundry detergent, etc at all?

Good luck, hope you find something that helps.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

My sister's dog developed an allergy to flea bites, so even if she didn't see them if one bit her when she was outside pottying she was scratch all her hair off. She had to give her desensitization shots. I also had a friend whose dog developed an allergy to grass of all things.

My GSDs used to get itchy from shedding and my horses do, so it is possible. When they need to shed the thickness of their coat traps stuff, including their own dander, so extra brushing until it's over may help. One of mine was always much better after a bath and blowout from a groomer. I don't know if it was the particular shampoo they use or what, but I suspect that the blowout got rid of more loose hair than a simple brushing.

He isn't shedding bad, just a little. I took him to the vet last year when he was itching this bad around shedding time and the vet checked him over said it wasn't anything but dandruff and shedding and not to worry unless he breaks the skin or causes himself wounds. It's not that bad. There isn't anything out of the unusual on his skin, it's not red, there are no bites, just loose undercoat. But he is uncomfortable, I feel sorry for him and want to help relieve him. After a bath he isn't so bad for a couple of days but bathing him every few days just isn't something we can do, he doesn't like baths all that much and takes so long to dry when the weather is cool.

He was groomed 3 weeks ago, and he lets them blow him out unlike myself, getting it done more than once a month just isn't in out budget right now.

I will try brushing him more than his daily brush and see how we go.

I have seen dogs with allergies, grass and fleas, it's not like that at all. Just normal shedding.