BC Boards

Feeding advice please

First of all I would like to say thank you to all who welcomed us, I am learning a lot. Pancho will be 15 weeks old on the 19th, he weighs about 22 pounds,and is around 18 inches tall--shoulder height. We feed him a cup of Buffalo Blue Wilderness for puppies 3 times a day. He eats it so fast. Is there a way to slow him down? Should we feed him less food more often? He has been getting a little constipated lately, and I wonder if we should change his food. He won't be a working dog and will not be completing in any competitions,he is our new family member. We run him when the weather is nice and try to walk him just down the the street. Hopefully, the dog park near by will be completed soon so he can get some more exercise. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I like the treat dispensing toys as a way to slow down the feeding frenzy as well. You may also want to consider setting some of his daily portion of kibble aside and feeding it throughout the day during training sessions. This will slow down his food consumption as well as tire out his little brain as you teach him new tricks!

Many people on these boards suggest feeding a food that is good for all life stages, so you might want to consider getting him off of a puppy food sooner rather then later. If you do a search on the forums for food recommendations you will get tons and tons of info.

I would continue to feed him at regular times throughout the day. Three times a day should be more then enough and eventually, once he's a bit older, you might even scale that back to two meals per day.

ETA: I had bad luck with Blue Buffalo, although it had the reverse effect on my guy... his stool was runny and soft. Also, I don't know what the feeding suggests on the bag, but three cups of food a day sounds like a lot. Please keep an eye on his weight and if it looks like he's packing on a few extra pounds be sure to scale that back.

I've heard of people putting a brick in the bowl so the dog has to eat around it.

My dog suffers from constipation if she gets certain types of food (bones). I know it sounds weird, but lentils seem to help a lot- leftover cooked unspiced lentils.

You can also pour the food out on a cookie sheet so the dog can only get a few pieces at a time. Or put the food in a muffin tin so he has to eat it out of the individual depressions. Or you can drop a length of large link chain in the food bowl and pour the food over that.

I feed my two year old on a cookie sheet or I just toss the kibble into her crate. She still doesn't chew, but she at least ingests the food much slower.

We have fed Blue Buffalo and the dogs did well on it. We switched to Taste of the Wild because it was less expensive.

My old dog was an inhaler right from the day we got her until the day she died. I ended up always putting a bit of water in with her kibble so it would slide down her throat easier - otherwise I could see her fighting to swallow it all as it must have slowly worked its way down her esophagus.

My young one actually chews her food but we also used several different "treat balls" for her to work to get her food. Helped keep her mind busy as well as eating slowly. I could put her whole meal inside the one made by Kong which has a heavy sand filled base so they have to use their paw to knock it sideways to get food out. The buster cube was fairly challenging for her to get food out of as well.

doesn 't anybody feed raw? A good 20 minute supervised chew on a recreation (read that large) bone is a natural way to cool any dog out. It exercises the jaw, which takes the edge off the longing for your best pair of shoes. It also addresses scraping his molars and stimulating his gums

There are quite a few people here who either feed raw or supplement with raw or provide recreational chewing with raw bones. The current topic on "Dental Health" has replies about the use and benefits of raw bones for dental health.

I feed raw, but feeding raw doesn't in and of itself stop dogs from eating their food too fast.

I've got a gulper and I have to take measures to make she doesn't choke on her food. It's either feeding her small pieces she won't choke on, or much larger ones that she has to chew. Feeding medium size pieces (which is what they get most often) frozen also helps tremendously.

I would like to say thank you for the wonderful advice I have received. I did put a rock in his dish day before yesterday and it really slowed down his eating. When I fed him yesterday, he looked at me as if to say "What's going on?" He would make these whining sounds when I fed him. I think he was actually fussing at me. Now this morning, he had it with the rock. He took his dish, flipped it over, and food went everywhere. I guess he showed me. Well, at least it still slowed down his eating. Thanks again.

I feed raw and kibble(due to squeamish family members who sometimes have to feed). I've known a number of raw fed dogs that were gulpers. I know someone who has JRT sized terriers that he has to fasten their raw food to a metal vacuum attachment tube to slow them down and that's with appropriate sized chunks like whole chicken legs.

I would like to say thank you for the wonderful advice I have received. I did put a rock in his dish day before yesterday and it really slowed down his eating. When I fed him yesterday, he looked at me as if to say "What's going on?" He would make these whining sounds when I fed him. I think he was actually fussing at me. Now this morning, he had it with the rock. He took his dish, flipped it over, and food went everywhere. I guess he showed me. Well, at least it still slowed down his eating. Thanks again.

:D:lol:

At least you can see the bright side!!

Now this morning, he had it with the rock. He took his dish, flipped it over, and food went everywhere. I guess he showed me. Well, at least it still slowed down his eating.

Guess you might as well go straight to the tossing-the-food-on-the-floor method, as it's what he seems to prefer anyway. ;)