BC Boards

Finding Classes/Trainers

I am sorry if this has been asked over and over, but is there a website that is available to find Agility classes and/or trainers? I have looked online and I have not been able to find much (I may just be terrible at looking things up online though).

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Not that I know of, I struggled to find classes when I started out and still struggle to find classes within a reasonable distance. What I would suggest is to see if you can find a local trial, go to NADAC, USDAA or CPE (different agility venues) and see if there is a trial in your area, then go chat to people and get some recomendations, getting a good start in agility is important.

I don't know about agility classes per se but you can go to http://www.apdt.com/ to find a trainers in your area, you can go to their websites and call to see if they offer agility. I would also recommend asking around at your vet and local pet stores. Many of them can recommend a trainer.

This is going to sound like an odd thing to say but from my experience most good agility trainers are not dog trainers, most expect the dogs to already have basic obedience, I have noticed that if regular dog trainers do offer agility it is not geared towards competing but rather a fun thing to do with your dog and so some of the fundamentals are lost. I was reminded of this last week when I watched a friends video on Facebook at a good local training center taking jumps on a leash and walking through a tunnel, very different from a basic agility class, I don't think they would want my flying monster there :)

Go to www.cleanrun.com and go to events. There's a tab there to search for a trainer or club. Also you can google agiledogs which is an l-soft list. Join it and post looking for a recommendation near you. Clean Run also has a yahoo group and you might be able to ask there for a training recommendation.

Go to www.cleanrun.com and go to events. There's a tab there to search for a trainer or club. Also you can google agiledogs which is an l-soft list. Join it and post looking for a recommendation near you. Clean Run also has a yahoo group and you might be able to ask there for a training recommendation.

This is a great suggestion, both lists have loads of knowledgable people all over the country

Sadly sometimes you have to be 'in the know' to know what's available. I know I didn't realize how much dog stuff was going on in my area until I started doing rally-o. I only did rally because I couldn't find agility (I hate rally and obedience lol). I knew of two agility places prior to that but one never replied to my emails and the other only had classes on weeknights and it was too far for me to drive home then drive all the way to the other side of town to make it to class. It was only through my rally instructor that I found out about the place I go now. I'd googled and never found it. If I would have known about it, I'd have another year under my belt. It really took that long to find.

And since then I've found 3 other places in the area with agility classes as well as options for many other dog sports like nosework and barn hunt and lure coursing. I wish it was a bit easier for new people to find though.

Maybe go to agilityevents or another site like USDAA and find a trial and ask around about who people train with?